Trouble Free Pool has made me into a POOL SNOB!!!

cherylandco

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2009
Isn't this horible? I now cannot stand swimming in hotel pools, public pools, or other peoples pools!!!!

I can't stand the cloudy water, the STRONG chlorine smell, etc.... :roll:

We went on a mini vacation this weekend and I was so happy to get home to my own clean, clear pool after swimming a couple of times in the hotel pool!! :-D

I was online recently looking at vacation properties and realized that given the time of year, we would like to have a hot tub. Some properties have private hot tubs, some were in public areas. For the private ones, I figure that I will likely have issues with the water. I figure I can estimate the size of a tub, based on my own spa at about 700 gallons. In that volume I can add a cup of bleach to add 6 ppm FC.

My question for the experts.... can I get away with adding say a cup of bleach to a strange hot tub with out messing anything up? I mean, how likely is it that any given hot tub is managed with something like Bacquacil or whatever that will go wrong if I add bleach?

If they're using bromine in the hot tub, it could be problematic to add chlorine.

My wife tells me all the time that I've turned her into a pool snob. I guess we both are now. When you've gotten used to swimming in your own sparkling clean, crystal clear, debris free, odor free pool; it's hard to go to someone else's or a public pool where the water's murky, dirty, and reeks of chloramine.

JMarch said:
it they're using bromine in the hot tub, it could be problematic to add chlorine

And, in the case of the private hot tub, unless I see the chemicals somewhere, I won't know.

Yeah, having this Sparklypoolitis does have some drawbacks, doesn't it?

I guess it's a reasonable question to ask the vacation property manager what they use to sanitize their hot tub. They'll just think you're wanting to know if it's clean and not suspect that you'll "fix" anything.

I've been tempted to shock hotel pools if I'm going to be there for more than a few days- LOL. Haven't done it though- didn't wanna get caught!

I turned into a huge pool snob now and rightfully so. :lol: Most of the pools out there are gross.

Ill pick on every little thing. If the water doesnt look perfect, taste perfect, and smell perfect (meaning not smell at all) I am not happy! Also it has to be the right temperature. LOL.

I love it when people come to me and say they have never seen a pool as clear and sparkling as mine.

I usually test my levels in the morning and at night. My wife thinks I lost my mind. She's probably right. :cheers:

But the thing I love the most about maintaining a pool properly is the lack of chemical smell on my body and clothes when done swimming. So many pools leave you with a residual chemical odor. Its gross!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
benavidescj said:
Wow, and I thought I was the only one! Sometimes I feel like sneeking some water from my friends house so I can test it. It is amazing to me how many pools, mostly public, are cloudy.
I know what you mean. Our best friends have a pool and I do not like swimming in it because it was too cold and it smelled of chlorine. After we added solar they added solar, however they still come over every weekend to swim in ours because we do the BBB method. I feel so cleannnnnnn in our pool. :-D :cheers: :cheers:

We swam in a friends pool the other evening. Pool was not as cloudy as last time I saw it, but still it was not clear. I tried not to worry about it. I think the 2 dogs must use up a lot of chlorine.

coruna1 said:
Yes, to all of the above :) But I have learned to keep my mouth shut when my friends pool is cloudy, people sometimes take it the wrong way, when you try to give them advice :blah: I just enjoy my pool and don't worry about others.
I could not agree more. Saying anything to a friend about their pool makes you, well, a SNOB! I do the same and keep my mouth shut. I got to tell you though, that if the pool is real cloudy, I don't say anything, but I will not get in it either. I make up an excuse as to why I don't want to get in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.