Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trouble Free Pool has made me into a POOL SNOB!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Trouble Free Pool has made me into a POOL SNOB!!!

Isn't this horible? I now cannot stand swimming in hotel pools, public pools, or other peoples pools!!!!

I can't stand the cloudy water, the STRONG chlorine smell, etc....

We went on a mini vacation this weekend and I was so happy to get home to my own clean, clear pool after swimming a couple of times in the hotel pool!!
    21x41x54" AG Artesian Seville II
    Installed around 2004 - we moved here in 2008
    23,000 gal
    Hayward SwimPro 256T Sand Filter
    1HP 2speed Hayward Power Flo Matrix
    (and have 2HP Hayward Swimpro and a 2hp 2speed Waterway Hi-Flo pump as back up also!! lol)
    No heating - other than Solar SunRings
    Central IL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trouble Free Pool has made me into a POOL SNOB!!!

Wow, and I thought I was the only one! Sometimes I feel like sneeking some water from my friends house so I can test it. It is amazing to me how many pools, mostly public, are cloudy.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

3. Back To Top    #3

I know what you mean...

We are getting ready to go to the beach and I am not looking forward to swimming in the pools at the resort where we stay. Last year I knew the water was "not right" but this year I know exactly HOW "not right" it is!
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 8.5 deep, 28K, Hayward C4025 SwimClear Filter, Hayward SP2607X10 Super Pump 1HP

4. Back To Top    #4

I was online recently looking at vacation properties and realized that given the time of year, we would like to have a hot tub. Some properties have private hot tubs, some were in public areas. For the private ones, I figure that I will likely have issues with the water. I figure I can estimate the size of a tub, based on my own spa at about 700 gallons. In that volume I can add a cup of bleach to add 6 ppm FC.

My question for the experts.... can I get away with adding say a cup of bleach to a strange hot tub with out messing anything up? I mean, how likely is it that any given hot tub is managed with something like Bacquacil or whatever that will go wrong if I add bleach?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

If they're using bromine in the hot tub, it could be problematic to add chlorine.

My wife tells me all the time that I've turned her into a pool snob. I guess we both are now. When you've gotten used to swimming in your own sparkling clean, crystal clear, debris free, odor free pool; it's hard to go to someone else's or a public pool where the water's murky, dirty, and reeks of chloramine.
    14'x28' vinyl liner inground 3.5-6' deep wedge hopper 15000 gal (used to say 13000- I calculated wrong), 1 hp pump with sand filter, 2 returns, 1 fountain, traditional chlorinated, pool house.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have been tempted to take my test kit with me to hotel pools and spas!
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JMarch
    it they're using bromine in the hot tub, it could be problematic to add chlorine
    And, in the case of the private hot tub, unless I see the chemicals somewhere, I won't know.

Yeah, having this Sparklypoolitis does have some drawbacks, doesn't it?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

I guess it's a reasonable question to ask the vacation property manager what they use to sanitize their hot tub. They'll just think you're wanting to know if it's clean and not suspect that you'll "fix" anything.

I've been tempted to shock hotel pools if I'm going to be there for more than a few days- LOL. Haven't done it though- didn't wanna get caught!
    14'x28' vinyl liner inground 3.5-6' deep wedge hopper 15000 gal (used to say 13000- I calculated wrong), 1 hp pump with sand filter, 2 returns, 1 fountain, traditional chlorinated, pool house.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yep, once you learn a little bit about pool water chemistry, you tend to look at other pools with a suspicious eye. That's normal.

10. Back To Top    #10

I turned into a huge pool snob now and rightfully so. Most of the pools out there are gross.

Ill pick on every little thing. If the water doesnt look perfect, taste perfect, and smell perfect (meaning not smell at all) I am not happy! Also it has to be the right temperature. LOL.

I love it when people come to me and say they have never seen a pool as clear and sparkling as mine.

I usually test my levels in the morning and at night. My wife thinks I lost my mind. She's probably right.

But the thing I love the most about maintaining a pool properly is the lack of chemical smell on my body and clothes when done swimming. So many pools leave you with a residual chemical odor. Its gross!!!
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Me too.

I even posted about it a few months ago when I sicced the health department on a hotel.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by benavidescj
    Wow, and I thought I was the only one! Sometimes I feel like sneeking some water from my friends house so I can test it. It is amazing to me how many pools, mostly public, are cloudy.
    I know what you mean. Our best friends have a pool and I do not like swimming in it because it was too cold and it smelled of chlorine. After we added solar they added solar, however they still come over every weekend to swim in ours because we do the BBB method. I feel so cleannnnnnn in our pool.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Brentr
    I feel so cleannnnnnn in our pool.
    Its probably because of the bleach you're adding to your pool.
    20,000 gallon gunite pool, attached spa, Pebblesheen finish, Paramount PCC-2000 infloor cleaning system, Paramount ClearO3 ozone system, Intelliflo VS main pump, Whisperflo 1HP cleaner pump, StaRite cartridge filter, StaRite heater

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes, to all of the above But I have learned to keep my mouth shut when my friends pool is cloudy, people sometimes take it the wrong way, when you try to give them advice I just enjoy my pool and don't worry about others.
    12,600 gallons
    Cartrige filter
    1 hp pump
    24x18 Above Ground Oval

15. Back To Top    #15

We swam in a friends pool the other evening. Pool was not as cloudy as last time I saw it, but still it was not clear. I tried not to worry about it. I think the 2 dogs must use up a lot of chlorine.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by coruna1
    Yes, to all of the above But I have learned to keep my mouth shut when my friends pool is cloudy, people sometimes take it the wrong way, when you try to give them advice I just enjoy my pool and don't worry about others.
    I could not agree more. Saying anything to a friend about their pool makes you, well, a SNOB! I do the same and keep my mouth shut. I got to tell you though, that if the pool is real cloudy, I don't say anything, but I will not get in it either. I make up an excuse as to why I don't want to get in.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool