Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cant get my ph to move above 7.2

1. Back To Top    #1

Cant get my ph to move above 7.2

i had to lower my TA several weeks ago do to switching to swg system. I aerated for about a week and had plenty of splashing going on. now over 2 weeks later since I got TA right I cant get ph to go higher than 7.2. Im not having any issues at all, but I thought you needed to keep it at around 7.5. Why cant I get it to come up?'
    Intex Easy set 18x48 pool
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cant get my ph to move above 7.2

It's a good sign if your TA is low enough that the pH isn't rising anymore, especially in an SWG pool. You can just add some 20 Mule Team Borax to raise the pH to 7.5. If for some reason the pH falls, you could raise the TA meaning that you went too far lowering it, but that would be very unusual and would mean you've got something else going on in the pool causing the pH to drop (i.e. you have something acidic getting into the pool).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

but my TA is 80 or 90. that isnt that low for swg right? I thought about adding borax, but worried it would raise my TA to much. im already at the high end of TA accoriding to the pool school
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TA 80 - 90 for a SWG pool is a recommendation because SWG pools tend to have rising pH issues. If aeration is not getting the pH to where you want it to be the next best choice is borax. Borax will raise your TA a little like you say but in your case it sound like a good idea. When are you getting your SWG? If it is soon your problems may soon go away, if it is later I would not worry about the TA issue until you actually get the SWG and concentrate on the pH issue which is more important right now. You will have plenty of time when you get your SWG to adjust the TA if necessary.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

5. Back To Top    #5

i have had the swg for around 3 or 4 weeks. im having no issues. so should i really raise the ph?
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

No, as long as PH is at least 7.2 and you expect it to go up on it's own (which I do) then you can leave it alone.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School