Adding Bleach at Night

Jul 18, 2007
Just a quick (probably basic) question. I understand it would probably be best to add my bleach when the sun goes down to save chlorine from getting burned off. My pump is now on a timer from 9am-6pm. Sun sets around 8pm. I'm assuming the pump has to run after adding bleach but maybe not? If so how long is an adequate time for the pump to run before I can turn it back off?

Occassionally I am rushed and use the water hose and pool brush to help mix in the bleach. :idea: Have you considered splitting your pump/filter time to half in the morn & half in the eve? Just thought I'd mention it. We ran ours that way last year and had no problems. Happy Swimming!

Joyce

jjparrish said:
Occassionally I am rushed and use the water hose and pool brush to help mix in the bleach. :idea: Have you considered splitting your pump/filter time to half in the morn & half in the eve? Just thought I'd mention it. We ran ours that way last year and had no problems. Happy Swimming!

Joyce

That would be great if I could do that but I don't think I can with my timer. All it has is one time on setting and one time off on a 24 hour cycle.

You can certainly add the chlorine anytime you wish. That said, if you have any organics in your pool, the Cl will be more effective after the Sun goes down.

If your pool is pristine like mine (yeah, right :lol: ) it really won't matter that much as the Sun will simply take it's toll the next day.

THIS IS NOT GOOD ADVICE...... but there could be an argument made for adding in the daytime in an organic-free pool. That way the residual Cl will not deplete as much during the day....giving you a more uniform ppm level thru the 24 hour period.

Few pools exist like that, however, so I think the idea of adding in the evening makes the most sense. Nevertheless, if it's impractical or even inconvenient, I would not consider it mandatory.

(Thanks for the kit order)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.