my FC level is just SO HIGH

flyweed

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2009
SW Wisconsin
Ok....I have my compuchlor SWG set to the "normal" setting, and it seems it keeps bumping my FC levels too high.

My current chems are:

Temp: 87 F
FC: 15
CC: 0
TA: 90
pH: 7.6
CYA: 70

I know with the SWG we should keep the FC around 3-5ppm....but I can't get mine that low it seems. I did turn my SWG way down to "low production" and got my FC down to about 7ppm..so at that point, I move the control knob back up to "normal production" and today I tested, and low and behold my level was back UP to 15ppm.

Why is it doing this? I have been keeping my solar cover off, sun hits my water, and we have a fairly heavy daily bather load (we have 6 kids), all swimming and splashing.

So I would think my Chlorine loss would be fairly substantial..but is my SWG just too good at keeping up with the demand, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help or insight

Dan

Ok...I'll turn it down again. I guess I just figured that the "Normal" setting on the dial would simply MAINTAIN my current level and not raise it way up to SHOCK level. SHEESH!! Not that that's a bad problem...but it's just taking a little adjustment to get this set right.

I run the pump, filter and SWG 24/7

So I'll turn it down to "low production" and see what happens.

Dan

PS---here is a photo of the unit I have, just in case anyone wanted to see it.

The "Low" to "Normal" knob is essentially the same thing as the percentage setting available on other units, except that it can't be turned down to zero the way most other brands can. The word "Normal" is kind of misleading, since there is no real "Normal" setting. It all depends on your specific pool.

flyweed said:
Ok...I'll turn it down again. I guess I just figured that the "Normal" setting on the dial would simply MAINTAIN my current level and not raise it way up to SHOCK level. SHEESH!! Not that that's a bad problem...but it's just taking a little adjustment to get this set right.

I run the pump, filter and SWG 24/7

Typically, SWG's are not run 24/7. That means at night when there should be less than 1ppm loss you're adding more chlorine than is being used.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.