Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: deck for AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

deck for AGP

hi

need to build a deck by the pool, I see some suggest useing IPE but am not sure if I can even get it in Wisconsin, are there any good composites out there that I can use?

should I go over the top of the pool edge or under, seen pick of but ways.

thanks
    gary
    thanks
    gary

24ft x 54" aquasphere mission agp, cartridge filter, 1.5 hp hayward, TF-100, BBB method, pool install July 2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: deck for AGP

When I built mine set the flooring a little lower were top of pool was sitting on the decking..worked very well!!!Composite material is a little higher but I feel that is very well worth the money if you are planning to be there for a while....My deck has been up for 9 yrs now...Iused wood decking ..It has seen it's day!!!I'm thinking about pulling it up this fall and putting composite down!!!Good Luck!!!
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

We also used composite and are very happy with it. Some people say it gets hot and it does to a point but one splash of water on it and the problem seems to go away We went with under the coping as well and like that look.
    Whatever you decide to do I'm sure you'll enjoy! There is nothing like a nice deck around a pool....
    ~_~ Sherry ~_~
    24' Round AGP, 13,500gal, 1.5hp Hayward
    Cartridge
    TF100 Test Kit BBB Baby!!!

4. Back To Top    #4

My deck's pressure-treated, but, I set the decking at the same level at the pool rail with about ¾" of space between them. Used a 1×3 to set the space.
    Arvil, 30ft round, 21k gal, AG/vinyl(2003), StaRiteIII hp cartridge 150ft, Polaris65.
    6/30, Temp83F (28.3C), pH 7.8, FC 2.8 ppm, CC 0 ppm, TA 100, CH 80, CYA 40, -B4O7 30, CSI-0.17.

5. Back To Top    #5

trex here...level with top rail as well
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

With composite you can't easily overhang the edge of the pool because the decking is less rigid and needs support. With the IPE you could cantilever it over the top rail. It is important to make sure the liner can be replaced without destroying the deck, and how to do that best that will depend on your pool model.

We have a tex deck underway with a similar pool type (PVC toprail with "clamshell" trim at the pillars) Our decking will slide flush underneath the top rail and the top clamshell . We are removing the bottom part of the clamshell.
    33' above ground pool, 52" deep, about 27500 g
    sand filter w/zeobrite

7. Back To Top    #7

I just built a deck out of tigerwood from Advantage Trim and Lumber in New York. It is about half the price of IPE. Advantgage will ship anywhere via Con Way trucking. I had them ship it to my work...much cheaper than home delivery. Then used a truck from work to take it home. The Tigerwood was about $2.00 per linear foot. I stained it with TWP 100 series stain. It is the only stain that can penetrate the South American Hardwoods. Go to Gardenweb.com and check the forum for porches and decks...a wealth of info. Do what John Mon says....he knows his stuff.

Todd
    12 X 24 above ground Doughboy, burried 2 foot inground.
    Hayward 1 hp pump
    Hayward 300 lb. sand filter
    Pump and filter located 30 ft. away from pool with 1 1/2 in. pvc plumbing.
    Future plans:
    deck built abound two sides
    ground level patio/walkway around other two sides
    2 X 20 ft. solar panel heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

that sounds good, how often will you need to reapply stain? pics?
    thanks
    gary

24ft x 54" aquasphere mission agp, cartridge filter, 1.5 hp hayward, TF-100, BBB method, pool install July 2010

9. Back To Top    #9

We built ours with Trex level with the top, leaving a gap. Love it, no maintenance required
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

10. Back To Top    #10

With TWP, the manufacturer recomends two initial coats, "wet on wet". Not sure how one is supposed to do that, but what I did was first coat, let dry and let the sun beat it up some, then second coat about 6 weeks later. TWP 100 series is a resin based stain high in VOC's. It sticks very well to wood as well as itself. In six weeks the sun started to bleach out a small portian of the deck so I thought it was time to add the second coat. That was two months ago, and the second coat really did the trick. The sun so far has not faded any of it. Everyone asks what kind of stain I used as the rain and pool water simply puddles on top of the deck and waits to evaporate. Kind of hard to find, only one paint store in Michigan carries it, so I simply ordered it on line. About $23 per gallon. Used slightly less than one gallon for first coat for a 300sq ft. deck. The second coat only used a little more than a quart. Very happy with this stuff. I have some pics in my phone, will try to upload them later. They have six colors availiable, and they can be mixed together for a custom color if you wanted. South American hardwood can seem a bit intimidating to work with, but it really is not. Just follow John Hyatt's posts on Gardenweb.com and do what he says.

Todd
    12 X 24 above ground Doughboy, burried 2 foot inground.
    Hayward 1 hp pump
    Hayward 300 lb. sand filter
    Pump and filter located 30 ft. away from pool with 1 1/2 in. pvc plumbing.
    Future plans:
    deck built abound two sides
    ground level patio/walkway around other two sides
    2 X 20 ft. solar panel heater.