Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Added Salt for "feel"

1. Back To Top    #1

Added Salt for "feel"

Added 200lbs of salt this weekend to bring me up to 2000ppm. DGF says, without coaching, "Feels Silky".

Nice!!
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Added Salt for "feel"

Have you really noticed a Big difference in water with it?
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

3. Back To Top    #3

I have heard that it can be a difference maker. Were you running 50 ppm of borates as well or just the salt?

4. Back To Top    #4

Whoohoo!!!

I love my salted pool too and I think it looks even more sparkly than unsalted. I've had many compliments on it and our skin and hair is not brittle or dry or anything.
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll chime in and say that I also got lots of compliments when I brought my salt up from 500ppm to 2,000ppm a couple weeks ago.

I know part of it is that I keep on top of the ph but after I added the salt, my wife has stopped wearing goggles and I noticed a nephew and a friend of my daughter both playing happilly with their goggles almost half full of water.

I really should find a little time for the borates...
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

6. Back To Top    #6

Uh . . . ditto!!!

We run our pool at around 1800 ppm right now and I'm going to add another bag this weekend. It very definitely makes the water feel softer, hair tangles less, and skin feels smoother when it dries. I swim with my eyes open when I do laps. No more red and burning eyes!

Salting a pool is a terrific improvement.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    Uh . . . ditto!!!

We run our pool at around 1800 ppm right now and I'm going to add another bag this weekend. It very definitely makes the water feel softer, hair tangles less, and skin feels smoother when it dries. I swim with my eyes open when I do laps. No more red and burning eyes!

Salting a pool is a terrific improvement.
    At risk of sounding like a shill for "Big Salt", I have to agree on the skin and hair tangles.
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

8. Back To Top    #8

What exactly do you do? If I just put in a bag or two of pool salt, will that be ok? Should I be concerned about doing that with my old, all steel pool? I really like the idea of how it would feel.
    17,000 gal. 28 ft. round AG doughboy, about 15 years old. 1.5HP Hayward pump, Doughboy Silica II filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

Your pool really isn't all steel, is it? Doesn't it have a vinyl liner?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, sure, but the top rails are steel. Guess that's not a lot to be exposed to the salt water though.
    17,000 gal. 28 ft. round AG doughboy, about 15 years old. 1.5HP Hayward pump, Doughboy Silica II filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

I added salt to about 1800 a few weeks ago and really like it. At least one frequent visitor noted a difference without being prompted. I just added water softener salt, and don't have a SWG -- despite having added salt, I'm supposed to still follow the Non-SWG chart for FC/CYA and keep my CYA at 40 instead of going up to 60 or 70 -- is that right??
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by crek31
    despite having added salt, I'm supposed to still follow the Non-SWG chart for FC/CYA and keep my CYA at 40 instead of going up to 60 or 70 -- is that right??
    Yes, that's right, because the difference isn't related to the salt but to the more continuous dosing and super-chlorination in the SWG cell.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks, chem geek.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

14. Back To Top    #14

Just curious about people who use salt for feel instead of SWG. I was considering doing this but my wife and I both hate the taste of salt water pools.

Does 2000ppm of salt or less give that taste?

Will 1000ppm still give a nicer feel to the water? Perhaps that would be less noticed in our mouths when we swallow half the pool swimming.
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

The level at which you can taste salt varies from person to person. The average is around 3,000 ppm, but some people can taste salt at much lower levels. Salt for feel uses a level around 2,000 ppm. Most people won't be able to taste that, but maybe one in 1,000 will.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School