How to test older Hayward pump....

Onslow

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 11, 2010
Kentucky
I have an older Hayward PowerFlo that I'm trying to test by connecting a hose into the water and seeing if any water shoots out the other end (short hose pointing away from the deck). So far nothing other than some prime comes out. If I disconnect the hose and cap my hand over the intake for a few seconds I do not feel much if any vacuum. Is there a way I can test the pump's throughput other than what I'm currently doing?

Sand filter and other parts are not ready yet. I can run my pool hose into the water but that about it. Thanks.

I'm assuming by hose you mean pool pump hose, not garden hose. Realize that a centrifugal pump can't pump air and can't suck up water unless it is already full of water from the pool to the pump. That's why pumps situated above the container of liquid lose prime if there are leaks in the intake side. It can only pump liquids like water and such (beer would cavitate too much). Since the pool is AG, put the pump on the ground next to the pool, or at least on a surface a foot or two below water level. Connect the hoses to the intake and discharge, lead both to the pool, hold the intake hose up and fill it with water and put it back into the water without getting air in it. It'll help to have someone hold the hoses. Turn on the pump, if it's working you'll get lots'o'water. If you're trying to test with garden hose, you won't get much flow, intake hose too small, but at least it'll show if it's working at all.

To clarify the intake hose I was using was the long blue vacuum hose, probably a ton of air it in it. The outbound hose (only two or so ft long) is the clear hose with the braiding. I'll give it a try below the waterline. Thanks...

If the pump shoots out the prime, then that means the impeller is spinning. If the impeller spins, then it should pump. The only thing of concern would be the impeller and seal condition which can be inspected by opening up the wet end of the pump.

Well, here's something to beat all...

There is an outlet box (110 GFI enclosed) underneath the deck near the pump location. When we first started dusting off the swamp, er pool, we tried to check the pump using the method described at the beginning of this thread. Well after about 20-30 seconds it would make a loud grinding sound and a smell of smoke...we turned it off immediately. I essentially wrote off the pump until I tried it on a separate outlet using an extension cord out to the same location. It ran smooth as could be (though not much water). No grinding or smoke.

Today I tested the deck outlet with a multimeter expecting that it would be some variance a little under or over 110 (which I've read can wreck havoc with pool motors).

The reading: 240 volts. I kid you not.

Before we bought the house the home inspector looked at the electrical panel and said some shady wiring had apparently occurred in the past. A lot of "double tabs" I believe was the term. As such we asked that the panel be replaced with something - by a licensed electrician - to properly support the house's wiring. So the entire panel was replaced and apparently the electrician put 220 volts to a 110 outlet? Has anyone heard of such a thing?

It's rare but it happens. Since that has happened I'd buy one of those plug in testers that test voltage and proper wiring and plug it into every receptacle around the house. They may all be right but piece of mind would be worth the cost.

It's easy to do if the installer wasn't paying attention or didn't know what he was doing or installed the incorrect breaker. Yeah, those testers are really cool, they also test if the correct wires were connected correctly in the back of the receptacle.

It's not unheard of to have 240v pool pumps. Probably a case of the electrician not paying attention. You need to replace the 2 pole circuit breaker with a single pole breaker. Do you have the info on the installing electrical contractor. I'd call him and pitch a fit. Throw in things like threats to report him to the state licensing agency as well as "You're lucky no one got hurt... or worse." Complain good enough and you may get him out there to fix it for free.

BTW... As an electrician myself, I recommend to every one of my family and friends to get those plugin testers. Best dang homeowner tool a home buyer can have. Also work really good for walk through inspections for realtors, inspectors and the like.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.