Hello all, I have been reading this and two other similar forums and have received valuable information (thank you!) on how to remove iron stains out of my very old Sylvan pool. We bought the house last year and the pool has been neglected by the pool guys and the prior owners. Needless to say, it was very heavily stained with iron. I followed the stain ascorbic acid technique carefully and it came out beautiful. I really could not get over how white. (it did need 12 pounds of vitamin C though). I added the Poly Quat 60 and Jack's Magic pink stuff as the technique suggested. I started to raise the chlorine slowly and watched my levels carefully. (I have a Taylor's K-2005) I have an Hayward inline chlorinator with trichlor pucks, which I have been trying not to use.
About 2 weeks after the treatment we had some rain, I get a lot of pine needles and acorns in my pool (we live in a woody area) and I must have let the chlorine slip overnight. I started to see cloudiness and assumed that I was getting an Algae bloom. I used several bottles of bleach and added another quart of the poly quat and an entire bottle of Pink Stuff just to bypass the stains from coming back. I have been unable to get the cloudiness to go away and it has been over a week. We got a huge storm two nights ago, I spent 4 hours cleaning the pool yesterday and taking out the organic matter, vaccuming, etc... The pool was visibly cloudy, with a very slight green tinge. I shocked with two bottles of clorox. Today it is better, just a little cloudy.
Numbers before the Algae bloom:
FC 2.5 TC 2.5 CC 0
PH 7.4 CH 210 Alk 130 CYA 60
FC 15 TC 15 CC 0
PH 7.2 ALK 110 CH 200 CYA 50
Here are the advanced questions:
1) I am starting to see light staining again in the deep end. It is very light on the bottom of the deep end. I put in 2 quarts of the Pink Stuff immediately and had been using a maintenance dose as suggested. I have been adding PolyQuat 60 as a maintenance too. We got some rain and organic matter in the pool. What would cause the new staining? The Algae, the chlorine level? I started using the in-line chlorinator again, as we are going away on vaca for a few days and I wanted the pool to not go green while away. Is there any evidence that trichlor causes or contributes to iron staining? What should I do to prevent this? I am so disappointed, because the pool was looking very good for how old it is and it is in need of a new resurfacing of the paint. (some has come off and you can see the concrete-could this issue be causing the problem?)
2) How should one handle an algae bloom if one has a staining problem like iron? (I know, don't get one, but if you do, how should one handle it if staining is a problem?) I added the PolyQuat immediately when I saw the cloudiness, it didn't seem to help. Is it common to get an algae bloom after rain? Should one be proactive with the bleach when it rains?
3) Does Poly Quat reduce chlorine, does one need to add chlorine after a Poly dose?
4) Does the surface of the pool, in other words, how old or porous, affect this staining process or how fast the stains will come back? (thats what the hubby thinks)
5) Slightly off topic, but...Would love to know what the procedure is for closing the pool for minimizing the stains upon re-open.
Proof of how well the ascorbic acid treatment works!
Photos: Intake before ascorbic acid treatment.
Side wall during treatment/left side down, right not.
10 Minutes after treatment.
30 Minutes after.
Original Sylvan brass step insert, its cute!
Thanks in advance.