What is this stuff, and should I keep it or get rid of it?

ElkPool

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Elkridge, MD
Please see pictures below...

I was cleaning out the shed I inherited (which seems to be dedicated only to pool stuff) and found some things I couldn't identify and/or didn't know whether to keep. Please let me know your thoughts!

1. This is a white bucket with a "Gator" logo on top. When you open it up (see other picture), it's like a bucket with holes that goes within the other bucket. I have no idea what it is supposed to do. Google didn't help.

2. This looks like just regular ductwork, but is there any reason it would be in the shed or that I would need it?

3. This is marked "Rainbow Guardian". (?!) Google didn't help, but I see some mesh inside so I am guessing this is a vacuum attachment? Is that right? If so, what's it officially called?

4. Standard vinyl duct--why would this be in there? Any need for it?

5. Patch for a vinyl liner? It doesn't match my actual liner--is that normal?

6. This is just a beach ball :)

7. A brush in a little carrier -- what might this be used for? Is there something else that's supposed to go in the carrier?

8. This is a standard access panel for electrical work. Are there any other uses for this?

9. This is a Purolator breather filter. Is there any use for this other than automotive? I'm just not sure why this stuff would be in the pool shed. I have a big garage and lots of inherited car/boat stuff is in there.

10. This is a porcelain touch-up kit. I can't think of where there's any porcelain...any ideas?

11. This appears to be some parts of an Aqua Genie skimmer. I can't tell whether it was ever installed or not. It's a different size than the Aqua Genie skimmer on the pool now. Why would someone have extra skimmer parts?

12. What is this thing? It looks (as best I can tell) like it is meant to sit on the ground. Is it supposed to cover something? Is it some kind of stool or ladder? Should I keep it?

13. This is a heavy base--what do you think this was used for? I tried putting a Tiki Torch in there, but the opening's too big.

14. That's the corner of the pool concrete up there. Any idea why this stump wasn't completely removed?

The other picture is clearly a DE filter, I'm just wondering why someone would have another filter. Is there any way I can test to see if it's still good without hooking it up? Is a cartridge filter (that's what I have now) better than a DE one? Will I ever need this one? Is it worth anything?

Thanks as always for your help! Every day I am grateful that I found this place!

Attachments

• pool stuff 003.jpg
    pool stuff 003.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 285
  • pool stuff 002.jpg
    pool stuff 002.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 285
  • pool stuff 001.jpg
    pool stuff 001.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 285
#13 looks like a base for an umbrella. Note the diameter of the hole and weigh the whole thing. A base of 30 lbs will barely hold an umbrella standing free but it may hold an umbrella stuck through a table. Online you can find charts of size of umbrella vs weight of base. My 11' umbrella in a table would need a 60 - 75lb base if it were not stuck into a hole in the deck.
#14 stump left --may be that it was cut so near the time of the sale of the house that no one wanted to bother with it, or the roots may be too near some vital lines to risk digging.

#12 looks similar to the base for my cartridge filter and pump, does it fit the filter in the other picture?
#11 the disc looking thing looks like the part of my vacuum that fits into the skimmer; perhaps they replaced the vacuum sometime and that's the old one. The rectangular frame and cover looks sorta like the Aquador skimmer faceplate and cover that allows me to close up my pool for winter without lowering the pool level. It's kinda like a Tupperware lid.

A base for the old filter, sounds right! My current filter doesn't have a base, so I didn't know they existed.

Live bait bucket--interesting! I'll hang onto that, but it goes in the garage. I haven't packed live bait to go fishing in a very long time.

#3 LOOKS like it can be opened, but I couldn't do it with my bare hands.

My Starite filter kinda sits on the base and turns a bit, like a bayonet fitting to keep it from walking, the base has a latching mechanism that latches onto the pump for the same purpose.

arvil said:
My Starite filter kinda sits on the base and turns a bit, like a bayonet fitting to keep it from walking, the base has a latching mechanism that latches onto the pump for the same purpose.

It's too dark now to see how my current one is secured. But this makes sense...thanks!

The old filter is a Hayward Perflex series DE filter, it is hard to tell if it is good or not without hooking it up #12 is a base for it that will also bolt up to a Hayward Super Pump (and perhaps others). I am guessing that one is an EC 50 (I have an EC-75 that I installed a couple of years ago), these filters use fingers coated with DE instead of grids like most DE filters. There are a lot of people on this board that don't like these filters, I personally think it is much better than the sand filters I have had in the past. These filters filters do not take abuse well, if they don't get "bumped" (using the handle) at the right time (about 10 psi pressure rise) which recoats the fingers pressure can build up and tear the fabric of the fingers. The fingers can also become clogged, but can usually be cleared by a simple acid wash. If some, but not all of the fingers are torn they can be individually replaced, however a complete set of fingers tends to sell for more than a complete filter assembly sells from the discounters.

Ike

Thanks for the information. What's the expected life cycle of a Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filter (my current one)? As far as I know, that's relatively new and it definitely went without any use for a season or two. Should I just give this DE one away through Craigslist or something? It's just taking up space now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does anyone else have any input? I'm just going to toss most of this stuff unless anyone thinks I should keep it. I'm quite a pack rat when it comes to my own possessions, but I inherited this stuff from someone I never knew and who's now deceased. Maybe I'll try and give the filter away through Craigslist...I don't want to try selling something that for all I know is faulty.

Isaac-1 said:
The old filter is a Hayward Perflex series DE filter, it is hard to tell if it is good or not without hooking it up #12 is a base for it that will also bolt up to a Hayward Super Pump (and perhaps others). I am guessing that one is an EC 50 (I have an EC-75 that I installed a couple of years ago), these filters use fingers coated with DE instead of grids like most DE filters. There are a lot of people on this board that don't like these filters, I personally think it is much better than the sand filters I have had in the past. These filters filters do not take abuse well, if they don't get "bumped" (using the handle) at the right time (about 10 psi pressure rise) which recoats the fingers pressure can build up and tear the fabric of the fingers. The fingers can also become clogged, but can usually be cleared by a simple acid wash. If some, but not all of the fingers are torn they can be individually replaced, however a complete set of fingers tends to sell for more than a complete filter assembly sells from the discounters.

Ike

We have a Hayward EC-55 or something weird number I can never find this exact model, with a 1 1/2 power flow pump
around 5yrs old, it cleans our water perfectly clear, you are right about the bumping, I only have a 18 round, and have to
bump every two days or so, the more the gallons in the pool the moire of a pain I m sure this would become, I break it down
and hose it off good, after every season, it runs like the day we first turned it on, do you remember what some on the forum
did not like about the Hayward DE purefex's, and what filters do they think are better? and run longer without recharging DE, I
drain and recharge about once every 3-4 weeks on avg or when I see a big change after bumping, Do sand filters back-flush
just water out? I never owned a sand filter, also is the water cleaning close to DE?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.