Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Modify Intex skimmer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Modify Intex skimmer?

I have searched around for a few days and cant seem to find what I saw before. I have the Intex skimmer on my pool, and I swear I saw someone say they removed the little "flower" in the bottom of the unit and it increased flow. I have been wondering if anybody else has done this, and if it does indeed work?
    Also, I just got a 2500 gph pump from Intex, and I want to cut the holes bigger to fit the new intake and return that came with it instead of continuing to use the old restrictive ones. Does anyone have any photos of where they have done the same, and any words of wisdom before I start?

Thanks.
    15' Intex frame set
    4600 Gallon
    2650gph Intex Sand Filter
    NightLighter 35W
    Red Neck fountain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Modify Intex skimmer?

I remember seeing that too...can't find it now either.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

18'x48" Intex metal frame pool, 1600 Intex sand filer/pump combo, Intex SWCG.

4. Back To Top    #4

No, but I am going to do just that in a few days. Saw that one earlier this week and am getting lengths.
    What I am taklking about is @ the bottom of the skimmer there is an insert that looks like it keeps stuff from going through the hose. I read that another person cut this part out and it increased flow. Also looking for any more info on cutting larger holes in the pool wall for 1 1/2 fittings.
    Funny you dont see more on that.
    15' Intex frame set
    4600 Gallon
    2650gph Intex Sand Filter
    NightLighter 35W
    Red Neck fountain