Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my Hayward Navigator broken?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my Hayward Navigator broken?

Hi

When the pump is on with just the skimmer working the pump basket doesn't have any air in it. However when the pool cleaner is going there is a lot of air in the pump basket. I make sure to purge air from the tubing when I put it in. Could there be something wrong with it? A leak hole in the tubing maybe?

Cheers,
    Fiona
    11,000 gallon chlorine pool:: 48 sq ft DE filter :: IG plaster :: 1 hp Whispaflo pump :: Gas heater and Solar Panel heating

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my Hayward Navigator broken?

Are all the connections tight, Fiona? Sometimes when you connect the hose pieces they do not fit together all the way, and you can draw air in that way.

3. Back To Top    #3

hmm, will go check the fittings...
    11,000 gallon chlorine pool:: 48 sq ft DE filter :: IG plaster :: 1 hp Whispaflo pump :: Gas heater and Solar Panel heating

4. Back To Top    #4

I haad the same thing simicrintz mentioned. I now dip the ends in the pool to get them wet before joining them together. The water serves as lubrication and makes it easier to push them together.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

5. Back To Top    #5

I hd the same issue until someone on here wrote to put the end of the hose up to the jets and let the jet force all the air out, then I put my hand over the opening and then plug it into the skimmer with very little air getting in.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok now this is driving me mad. Have tried all the suggested remedies and then some other ideas I had:

1. Put together tubes under water...check...still lot of air.

2. hold tubes against return jet to fill with water....check...still lot of air.

3. checked tubes for holes, found a couple of tiny ones. Bought 8 new tubes...still lot of air.

4. Slowly added one tube at a time and check pump basket for air...when it gets to 5 or 6 long the air becomes a problem again. Doesn't matter what order I put them together so I don't think there's any holes or issues with bad seals.

My current theory: the pump is having a hard time sucking in enough water to fill the pump basket while the tubes are attached, probably due to reduced flow through the tubes as opposed to the skimmer.

What I don't understand is why this seems to be a recent problem. We had the pump motor replaced a while back but this issue has only arisen months later.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Fiona

7. Back To Top    #7

Fiona, Did someone adjust a valve???

8. Back To Top    #8

Ihad the same issue and then I did the old put the end of the hose on the jet and run water in it to force the air out , then take it out of the water and put my palm over the opening and then jam it into the skimmer opening. Sometimes I still get some air and if it lasts a little to long I slowly open the main drain and then shut it again a few times and then the pressure builds up again. I just wish my navigator would stop getting stuck in different areas of the pool so often!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Sal: I'm not sure to be honest. If so, which valve could it be and where would I find it?

10. Back To Top    #10

You should have a three way, that adjusts your vacuum somewhere at the pump end. You could have a leak there maybe???