Tall tales essay contest

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
(((The contest is now over!)))

Write a tall tale about your swimming pool and/or spa to be entered to win a cool beverage bucket, perfect for pool side entertaining.

Tall tales in the spirit of Paul Bunyan, Calamity Jane, and Pecos Bill are an American tradition. Write your own tall tale that somehow involves a swimming pool and/or spa and post it in this topic to be entered to win. Your tall tale must be 700 words or less, your own original story, suitable for families, and posted to this topic by the end of Tuesday August 10th to be eligible to win. Limited to one entry per member.

I will select nine finalists, and the overall winner will be selected by the TFP community.

The winner shall receive a Frontgate 21" diameter beverage serving bucket with double walled stainless steel construction.
beverageTub.jpg

Pictured with ice, bottles, and other incidentals, which are not included.

Hum, a week has past and no one seems very excited about this contest. Maybe it is time to try something different.

What do you think? Do you have a tall tale coming and simply haven't had time to post it yet, or do you have ideas for other contests we should be running instead?

Well, now I'm waiting til the last moment to try to be the only entry :lol: I like the beverage cooler! Seriously, I look forward to reading some entries, but I lack the creativity to tell tall tales other than those I make up on the fly for four year olds at bed time.

My REAL submittal:

I remember it like it was yesterday………..

Just thinking about it now gives me goose bumps all over. I still dream about it, I still watch every step I take in my yard, looking, watching, wondering…………

It was two weeks ago today. It had been a very hot, humid day, but evening was now upon me; my pool was now in the shade, my TF-100 test kit under my arm. I was walking across my lawn to the shed out back when, out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw something moving in the grass. I looked but didn’t see anything. I got the bleach and measuring cup out of the shed and sat everything down along the pool edge of the deep end and proceeded to test my pool water. While holding up the plastic viewer to read my PH results, I again thought I saw something moving through the grass over by the shed. I sat the test down and walked over toward the area, looking around. At first, I didn’t see anything; than, all of a sudden, there it was! It was peeking out at me from under the shed. As I moved closer, it started to make a mewing noise. The closer I got to it, the louder its noise got. All of sudden it darted out from under the shed and started to run toward me. It was the size of my Aquabot robotic pool cleaner. It had eight short legs, four arms and a big huge eyeball right in the middle of its body and it was purple all over! I screamed and ran through the back yard, watching over my shoulder as it got closer and closer to me, its mewing noise so loud it made my ears ache. I ran through my flower gardens, trampling the plants, with that “thing” close on my heels. I was terrified; what was I going to do? All of a sudden my little dog Dixon came running along side me and turned on the “thing”, trying to protect me. He snarled and lunged at the “thing”, but it was no use, it just ran right over Dixon like he was nothing, leaving him behind in a trail of crushed grass and plants. Dixon jumped up and started chasing behind the thing, with me out in front, desperate to get away. I got close to the pool and decided to jump into the water, hoping it wouldn’t follow me in. I was wrong. It came flying into the water with a huge splash, mewing and swirling around in the water, trying to get to me. I swam as hard as I could, then started swimming under water, hoping I could gain some distance between us. When I surfaced, the “thing” was almost upon me, Dixon running along the pool edge, barking and lunging at it. I was terrified, desperate, not knowing what to do. I reached the shallow end of the pool and started to crawl up the steps, but the “thing” caught up to me. It grabbed my left leg but I kept pulling, trying to lift myself up out of the water. The “thing” then grabbed hold of my other leg; I was caught, but refused to give up. I was terrified, I screamed and pulled and pulled and pulled, but it held onto my legs, pulling harder and harder on my legs, just like I’m pulling yours!

H2ctpdjl
Aka Diana

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.