Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat Pump - No Diverter Valve?

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat Pump - No Diverter Valve?

We had our heat pump installed a couple of years after we had the pool put in, and we thought it would be standard that a diverter valve be put in to keep the filtered water from flowing needlessly through it when not in use. The pressure on the filter has doubled from about 5 to 10 since hooking into the heater.

Our pool builder refused to plumb it that way and Leslie's does not do it either unless you twist their arm - says it's unnecessary. I went with their recommendation and had it done, but now my husband wants to re-plumb it himself and put in a diverter valve, as he's feeling the heater life will be compromised without one. We basically don't need to use our heat pump all that much; just some in springtime to warm up the water initially and during times if it's been cloudy for a few days in a row.

Can anyone comment on what is the better hookup? Thank you,
    Jan
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat Pump - No Diverter Valve?

To me the best setup is to have a bypass valve in the common pipe and a block valve and union in each line going to the heat pump. That allows you to completely bypass the heat pump and remove it if needed, leaving the system running while it's out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Heat Pump - No Bypass Valve?

That makes perfect sense too - I appreciate your comment,
    Jan
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.