Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need light recommendation for above ground pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Need light recommendation for above ground pool

I am looking for recommendations for a light to my above ground pool. I would like it bright enough to be able to see the pool bottom and at the same time be aesthetically pleasing. What do you recommend?

Thanks, Larry
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need light recommendation for above ground pool

My vote is for the Smartpool Nightlighter NLMC... It is a mulitcolored that can stay solid on one color or fade to into the other colors. I did change out one bulb to a solid white one. here is a link to it for only 99.99 http://www.poolsupplies.com/cgi-bin/com ... add=action
    24' x52" Sharkline Venture (May 2016) ABG (13,500)
    Hayward S180T15932S --Sand filter/ Flo-Matrix pump pack
    Aquatrol-RJ SWG-- Nitelighter NLMC
    Dolphin E10
    Duraspa G2- Premium hot tub --Rotomold style

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a Nightlighter NLMC Multicolor and it illuminates the pool well. BUT (isn't there always a but) it failed a few days ago. It's still under warranty and I've sent it back so I'll report back on how that goes. Hopefully it's just one bad unit and not a design flaw. I do love the light. The colors are great and the light is plenty to light up the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Be aware that this type of hanging light will not hang on some pool designs. You need to remove the top rail, hang the light from the pool wall then reattach the top rail. My pool has plastic top rails that fit tightly over the liner channel, there is no way to hang the light and get the top rail back on.
    33' above ground pool, 52" deep, about 27500 g
    sand filter w/zeobrite

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the suggestion. I also have plastic top rails. I will have to look to see if I have any clearance over the liner channel. Any idea how much clearance I need? Have others had problems with this light failing?
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

6. Back To Top    #6

I haven't heard of any other failures.

You'll need a space about 1/2" high and about 2" wide. My pool has resin top rails and it fits perfectly.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

My top rail sits right on top of the liner, that is looking at it from inside the pool there is no gap. But, the rail seems to have some give when I push up on it in the middle. It might have enough flex to allow for the mount to fit under it.
    Larry in Texas

8. Back To Top    #8

I also thought mine sat right on top of the bead carrier but after I removed it I found that there's a criss-cross pattern and there is enough space for the NLMC to fit without bowing the top rail up.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Maybe it will work for me as well. I have several broken top caps and need to take one off to see if I can find a replacement. I will check the top rail at that time.
    Larry in Texas