Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: loss of stabilizer

1. Back To Top    #1

loss of stabilizer

My cya was 20 and I was using more bleach per day than I wanted. I added 4 lbs of stabilizer to bring my cya up to 40 and my usuage dropped in about half. My demand went back up about 3 weeks later, rechecked my cya and it was down to 10. I had to backwash 2 times in the last 2 weeks and had about 3 inches of rain. Yesterday i added another 4 lbs of stabilizer and am using 7PPM of bleach per day. What am I doing wrong?
    20k inground fiberglass
    sand filter
    k-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: loss of stabilizer

Do you have an auto fill system, or have you been adding water to the pool frequently? The most common way for CYA to go down is a water leak that results in a lot of water replacement.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I can't answer what happened to your CYA but if it's gone I would replenish it to 50ppm in your climate.

I would also suggest you do a full set of tests to include CC's. I'm purely speculating but you maight have a little algae in your pool.

One note, CYA takes up to a week to register on the test after you put it in. I can't tell from your post whether or not you have given it enough time.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

How are you adding your CYA? Directly to the skimmer or using the sock method hanging in front of a return?

If you added CYA via the skimmer and then backwashed before a week's time, this could account for loss of CYA.

Also, losing 7ppm FC daily, I also suspect some organics.

I'd do an overnight free chlorine loss test - directions in Pool School.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

My pool eats CYA. I have no leak, dont add much water (maybe an inch a week right now in 90+ weather), dont backwash much (one a month maybe) and not a lot of rain this summer, either. I had 60 ppm at the beginning of May. Measured it a couple days ago, it's maybe 30 ppm. I have no ammonia. I have no idea why I cant keep CYA in my pool, none. It just add more when I need to. I gave up trying to figure out why. In the spring when I open, my CYA is zero. No ammonia either.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

meber and bk406,

Have either of you used enzyme products? Do you have unusually high chlorine demand? Is your pH on the high side (7.8 or higher)? A loss of 30 ppm CYA in 75 days is 0.4 ppm CYA per day. If it were chlorine oxidizing the CYA, it would be around 1 ppm FC per day extra chlorine demand. The more normal CYA loss (with no dilution) is usually less than 2 ppm per month instead of the 12 ppm bk406 is seeing. In hot (104ºF) spas with 4 ppm FC and 30 ppm CYA, we've seen a drop of 5 ppm CYA per month consistently measured from multiple people.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

I use no enzyme products. Only thing i add other than chlorine is some metal control from HTH, but not much of that. I keep my TA at 80, CH is 40, pH stays around 7.4. I have not added one drop of acid or one flake of borax since i opned. pH is rock steady. I keep my FC around 6 ppm. My pool seems to use around 2-3 pm per day. Nothing extraordinary.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.