Algaecide has turned my pool cloudy!!! HELP!

Jul 18, 2010
I am new to the pool life. A week ago today, we bought an Intex metal framed pool. 12x36 and we were loving it. The water was crystal clear and everything was going good. Yesterday morning, I added some Algaecide into the pool. There was no sign of any algae but I thought adding a little bit to the pool would help to prevent getting algae and didn't think it would hurt anything. The pump has been running ever since I added the algaecide and by 12 hours, it was still cloudy. So, last night, I took the cover off the pool and added a little bit of Clarifier in the pool and let the pump continue to run over night. This morning as I was pulling the cover off I noticed the water is even more cloudy and now I can't even see the bottom of the pool. So, I threw in the rest of the clarifier and the pump is still running, I also threw in about a cup and a half of baking soda made specifically for pools cause it's also supposed to help PH levels and make the water clearer. This morning the chlorine level was really low so I had to add some new fresh chlorine tabs. I didn't know this algaecide would cloud up the pool water. All it said on the bottle is that it would foam, nothing about the water becoming cloudy. I was wondering if anyone had had this problem or what else I might could try to clear up the pool water. It's not green water, it's blue water. As I said, no sign of algae, I just thought adding a bit of algaecide would help prevent algae. I am new to this pool stuff. I am not sure how long it will take the Clarifier to work. It might need another bottle threw in. If anyone can help me out here, that would mean a lot! Thanks!

Hi, Kristy,

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Stop throwing things into the pool when you don't know what they will do. The chances that they will do what it says on the bottle are slim to none.

Can you post some test results? Without them, we are simply guessing at the problems along with you. With test results, we can start to clear up your problems. If you don't have any way to test, take a sample to the pool store and have it tested. Don't buy anything from them and post the results back here.

Total Hardness : Ok High
Total Chlorine : Very Low
Free Chlorine : Very Low (I just added chlorine tabs since was low this morning.)
PH : Looks like a pinkish on the strip so guess ok.
Total Alkalinity : Looks between OK and High.
Stabilizer : Can't really tell, looks like a light orange. Between very low and Ok.

Ok. If you want to manage your pool properly, you will need a very good test kit. I need to let others explain further as I have a financial interest in saying that.

However, the test strip results will have to do for now. I would suggest that....

1. Do not add anything else to the pool except what we discuss here.

2. Add enough Clorox bleach to get free chlorine "very high" on your strips....start with 2 small jugs to begin with, perhaps 3 but I'm guessing. Yes, Clorox bleach and you will need a lot more. We're gonna' shock your pool using liquid chlorine. (bleach) The pucks will not help you very much in this process but it's ok to leave them ion for now.

3. Read "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" and "How to Shock your Pool" up in Pool School. Keep reading until you understand the importance of Chlorine in your pool and that you need to constantly replenish it.

4. Take a sample to a pool store and get some good test results. They still won't be as good as having your own kit, but they will be better than the strips.

I was thinking of using bleach but I wasn't sure if it was okay to add it into the pool but I will try that. I've been reading about bleach online for the past 30 minutes. My neighbors used it to clear up their pool. I have no idea why Algaecide made my pool cloudy!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have well water, and we had to use a pre-fresh filter to keep the iron and metals out of the pool and also used Metal out after filling up the pool. We ran the pump and there was no sign of iron or rust. The water was crystal clear. We have no one in town that can come fill up our pool for us. It's a lot of work when using well water cause we have to keep turning the pump off to cool down so it won't over heat. Took 3 days to fill pool. We also had an inflatable pool before this one and had to drain it three times because it kept leaning. We've used almost 5,000 gallons of well water, total.

bk406 has a good point (and I should've seen that, too) but I understand your reluctance to refill.

Okay, let's shock your pool with bleach and not worry about what caused it to get cloudy....let's get it back to clear. Put that bleach in there as soon as you can. Is your pump running 24/7? Do so if it is not.

Here is why you need a good quality test kit.
Even though your pool is small, your family will be swimming in it and you want the water quality to be the best it can be. Test strips at best give you a some or none result. In order to dose your pool accurately, you need to know precisely what the levels are in your pool. The best way to get those results is with a FAS-DPD kit. These kits generally are not available in stores but can be ordered online. You will want either a TF 100 or a Taylor K2006, which is available from a variety of sites. After you get your results, check out the pool calculator and practice inputting your results in the now column to see what needs to be done next.

As for your current situation, algaecide increases chlorine demand. Some algaecides also add copper to your water. The clarifier causes matter to fall to the bottom so it can be vacuumed out.

Since you have an intex pool I am assuming you have the standard pump/filter set up that comes with the pool. Intex woefully under sizes their pump/filter combos. It is fine if your water is clear but when you have a problem it can take a long time to clear it up. You can decide whether you want to dump and refill or if you want to try to clear the water you have now. Either way we can help you balance the water and keep your pool in good shape. Welcome to TFP!

Have some more chlorine on hand and check again in several hours, put in enough chlorine to bring it back to "very high" again.

Intex filters and pumps are not very good. Have you cleaned/replaced your cartridge?

Read zea3's post carefully. This would be a chip shot with a good kit. We're gonna' struggle with a lot of guesswork until you get some real test results. What city and State are you in. Put that info in your sig when you get a chance.

Yes, I just have a standard filter right now. I really don't wanna drain this pool since it takes so long to fill this pool and the fact we don't have city water. I am willing to try the bleach and wait a while to see if it clears up.

I just threw in 2 gallons of bleach, Dollar General Brand and cleaned the filter. It had some sord of residue on it and yellow stuff, wasn't iron, it looked like snot, kind of slimy I guess you could say. Not sure what that was. Can't believe the algaecide did this to the pool. I checked the levels, Chlorine level is very high. And the others showed high as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.