Algaecide has turned my pool cloudy!!! HELP!

The algaecide didn't do this, it was a combination of factors and it likely started when the chlorine got too low and you needed to shock the pool but instead you added a cheap algaecide and baking soda. It happens, live and learn right :)
Did you add the rest of the jug of the "rain" scented bleach before?

We don't recommend Dollar Store bleach. It has been reported that discount stores bleach stock can be old, weakend or even as low as 3%.

Generic store brand, like Walmart or Target or Aldi, is usually okay though.

Test strips are worthless for testing CYA - is there a pool store nearby that you can have test for you? Otherwise at the very least, Walmart sells a drop-based 6way test kit by HTH that is more accurate than strips and can test your CYA twice....

Well I would have the test the water - but don't buy or add any of their recommended chems - post your results here first.

There is no way to tell how long it will take - every pool is different. Its hard with the Intex filters once a problem develops. Keep your FC up to 12 until we know your exact CYA level and continue rising off the filter daily and replace it every 4-5 days until the water clears.

I've tossed in 5 gallons of bleach. And the water is still very cloudy and green now. The pump is still running, had to put the cover on the pool cause we're about to get some rain. We always keep the cover on the pool through out the night to avoid lots of trash getting in it. I checked the levels and they are extremely high right now. I'm calling the spa and pool supply store tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I heard that it takes a while and all depends on the kind of pump too I think and might depend on a certain brand of bleach. My pool holds about 2,000 plus gallons of water and right now I have poured in 5 gallons of Dollar General Brand bleach and running the pump constantly. I don't have a fancy pump, just the one that came with my Intex pool, I can't afford another kind of pump. Tomorrow, I am calling the pool place and telling them everything. If they wanna test the water then they can. I hear they are good at fixing pools and so I am hoping they will help me.

I called the pool place a little while ago and he told me that it sounded like there was still iron in the water which is why my water has turned to the greenish tint and he said that the cloudiness probably came from it being a cheap brand and that it might not even clear up so I could either wait or go ahead and drain it. I'm draining the pool right now, I hate it so much but I will NEVER buy another algaecide chemical from Wal-Mart again. It was the biggest mistake I ever made. The water was perfect until I added that stuff. Hopefully, by the weekend it will be filled up again and sparkling clear again and I can enjoy it.

You are right, it's such a pain having to drain this water. We had an inflatable pool first and it gave us so many problems cause we couldn't get it to work right and we drained it 3 dang times! Then, we decided to get the metal framed pool and loved it the minute we set it up and everything was GREAT until I added the algaecide this weekend. I keep telling myself that by the weekend it should be all good again and I will be enjoying it and if the water is fine, I am not adding anything to it. If I see a problem, I will ask someone before throwing in chemicals. I might get one of those test kits that people mentioned on here though. It wouldn't be so bad if the city could come fill up the pool or if we had city water. We have well water so that's why it takes about 3 days to fill the pool cause we have to turn off the pump every 30 minutes so it won't over heat. It's heart breaking to know how much water we have used in the past month.

I know it's a pain but you can come back here and ask any questions you may have.

Have you actually had your water tested for metals? If not I'd certainly have it done. That way we'll know whether you even need sequestrant and if you do which would be better for you to use.

The fact that your water turned green after adding the algaecide leads me to believe it was copper. Some algaecides have copper and if you were right at the threshold, adding that would have put you over.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.