TEST RESULTS

Hi, Gerry,

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Yeah, I would suggest you shock. When you read that article mentioned above, take note that it is a process rather than just one dose of chlorine. Keep your FC up at shock level for the whole process. Post back with any questions.

Before you start shocking, I would add stabilizer to your pool. Put in a dose(stabilizer) big enough to get to 30ppm or thereabouts and then your shock target you'll be holding your chlorine at will be 12-15. Stabilizer is also called CYA or Cyanuric acid.

Let us know what questions you have and we'll get that cloudiness out of the pool and get your water crystal clear.

That depends on why you are shocking. You might want to wait 24 hours after adding CYA, so there will be some CYA in the water, which makes shocking easier. On the other hand, if algae is just getting started, it will be much easier to get rid of if you add chlorine immediately.

"Aquamate - Concentrated/Stabilized Pool Chlorinating 1" small tablets" contains both chlorine and stabilizer. Normally you wouldn't use this to raise the CYA level, as it will add too much chlorine. The other two are fine for raising the CYA level.

I would tie off the sock and hang it in front of the return flow and leave the pump running until the CYA dissolves out of the sock. Once you have added the CYA adjust your FC levels accordingly (refer to the chart)...your shock level will go up depending on your target dose for CYA.

I didn't get to add the stabilizer to my pool till last nite. And I haven't shocked it yet because I read to wait 24 hours unless really needed. So here are my chemical levels as of this morning

FC - 1.5
CC - 1
TC - 2.5
pH - 7.5
TA - 80
CH - 370
CYA - 30

The water does look clearer than it did yesterday
Thank You

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok Im sorry I am really new to this how much shock should I use for my levels. I looked at the chart you all were talking about and I am totally lost on how much to use. I feel really stupid but I want my pool to look good and don't want to mess it up. Please help me understand.

Thank You

When you read that article mentioned above, take note that it is a process rather than just one dose of chlorine. Keep your FC up at shock level for the whole process. Post back with any questions.

Before you start shocking, I would add stabilizer to your pool. Put in a dose(stabilizer) big enough to get to 30ppm or thereabouts and then your shock target you'll be holding your chlorine at will be 12-15. Stabilizer is also called CYA or Cyanuric acid.

You should read Pool School on how to shock your pool. You should also learn to use the Pool Calculator. Once you enter your numbers into the calculator it'll give your the recommended levels as well as your shock level,

Your shock level for a CYA of 30 is 13. It'll take 1 gallon and 2 cups of 6% bleach to get you there from 1.5ppm FC.

ETA: Dave and I were typing at the same time.

I did just that and here are my recent chemical levels

FC - 10
CC - 0.5
TC - 10.5
pH - 7.6
TA - 100
CH - 380
CYA - 25

ok since my CYA is 25 shock level would be 12 so I would add 3 cups and 1oz of bleach. And also add 4 oiiz and 1 tsp of stabilizer Is that correct?

Thanks for the help

ok I did the overnight FC test the level on it was 9.5 So with that I want to raise it to 12 by adding 1 qt and 5 oz of bleach. Do I seem to be doing this correctly. Sorry if I appear to really not know what I'm doing because I don't but I think I'm learning

Thank You

In order to know how you did on the OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test) you should have two numbers. One test after the sun set and another taken the next morning before the sun rises. The difference between those numbers is what you're looking to be 1ppm or less.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.