where else to check for air leaks?

PoolCleanerMom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2009
SF Bay Area (Lamorinda), CA
Just this week we noticed that there must be an air leak somewhere in our pump system - when the pump shuts down, there's a whoosh of water leaving the pump strainer basket area. I cleaned the sealing surfaces of the lid and o-ring with the silicone o ring stuff and that seems to be sealed (you can tell the seal breaks when you take the lid off). So where are other logical places to check for air leaks? I assume that if the air is leaking in from somewhere else in the pump that we would see some water leaking out?

It sure sounds like a suction side leak.

Pump running, you should be able to see a lot of air in the pump strainer basket. Is that the case?

Also, pump off, the pump strainer basket should sooner or later have all the water drained from it and then take a while, upon startup, for the pump to prime...is that the case, also?

You could have a bunch of air trapped in the filter. It gets compressed when the pump is on, then expands when the pressure is off. Open the air bleed when the pump is running - just a little bit, until water starts coming out. It might be immediate, meaning my hunch is wrong, or there might be quite a long hiss before the water starts.

Richard320 said:
You could have a bunch of air trapped in the filter. It gets compressed when the pump is on, then expands when the pressure is off. Open the air bleed when the pump is running - just a little bit, until water starts coming out. It might be immediate, meaning my hunch is wrong, or there might be quite a long hiss before the water starts.
Thanks, I think this was it! We opened the bleed valve and started the pump and it hissed for a while before the water started sputtering out, closed the valve and it looks like things are back to normal :goodjob:

PHXAZ said:
what if you have to open the air bleed everytime you run the pump? I also see air bubbles coming out of my return line. I also lose prime in the pump.
Then you have a leak on the suction side. Most common is the gasket on the pump strainer basket. If you have low water in the skimmer you could be getting a vortex and sucking air that way.

Start looking for other leaks by running things a while then shut it off and look for any wet spots immediately. If water can get out, air can get in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.