Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: where else to check for air leaks?

1. Back To Top    #1

where else to check for air leaks?

Just this week we noticed that there must be an air leak somewhere in our pump system - when the pump shuts down, there's a whoosh of water leaving the pump strainer basket area. I cleaned the sealing surfaces of the lid and o-ring with the silicone o ring stuff and that seems to be sealed (you can tell the seal breaks when you take the lid off). So where are other logical places to check for air leaks? I assume that if the air is leaking in from somewhere else in the pump that we would see some water leaking out?
    1950's-era 17K gallon formerly fiberglass, newly replastered IG rectangle (~15x30'),
    Hayward S244S Sand Filter with Franklin Electric 0.75 HP motor and WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump
    Clear ThermaTex bubble cover
    Manual vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: where else to check for air leaks?

It sure sounds like a suction side leak.

Pump running, you should be able to see a lot of air in the pump strainer basket. Is that the case?

Also, pump off, the pump strainer basket should sooner or later have all the water drained from it and then take a while, upon startup, for the pump to prime...is that the case, also?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You could have a bunch of air trapped in the filter. It gets compressed when the pump is on, then expands when the pressure is off. Open the air bleed when the pump is running - just a little bit, until water starts coming out. It might be immediate, meaning my hunch is wrong, or there might be quite a long hiss before the water starts.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    You could have a bunch of air trapped in the filter. It gets compressed when the pump is on, then expands when the pressure is off. Open the air bleed when the pump is running - just a little bit, until water starts coming out. It might be immediate, meaning my hunch is wrong, or there might be quite a long hiss before the water starts.
    Thanks, I think this was it! We opened the bleed valve and started the pump and it hissed for a while before the water started sputtering out, closed the valve and it looks like things are back to normal
    1950's-era 17K gallon formerly fiberglass, newly replastered IG rectangle (~15x30'),
    Hayward S244S Sand Filter with Franklin Electric 0.75 HP motor and WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump
    Clear ThermaTex bubble cover
    Manual vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

what if you have to open the air bleed everytime you run the pump? I also see air bubbles coming out of my return line. I also lose prime in the pump.
    18,000 IG pebbletec with a waterfall and four deck jets. Intelliflow VS3050, Pentair Trinton TR100 sand filter, heater and Pentair Easytouch w/ SWG.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PHXAZ
    what if you have to open the air bleed everytime you run the pump? I also see air bubbles coming out of my return line. I also lose prime in the pump.
    Then you have a leak on the suction side. Most common is the gasket on the pump strainer basket. If you have low water in the skimmer you could be getting a vortex and sucking air that way.

Start looking for other leaks by running things a while then shut it off and look for any wet spots immediately. If water can get out, air can get in.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!