what to do about bees in the pool?

Jeff74

Mar 10, 2010
Huntington, WV
This is our first year open with our new AGP. I notice there are alot of these shiny, gold colored bees and they are usually on the surface of the water. They sting which makes the pool very unattractive for swimmers. I vacuumed the pool just now and went around with the leaf rake and would get about 5-10 bees each time around.

What is a good solution for these pests?

I just skim them off and enter the pool and watch for new ones hovering trying to get a "sip" of water and shoo them off. The ones that land in the water get fished out. They do prefer the water during the sunniest part of the day. I also observed they are especially drawn to red/orange/yellow floats so I avoid buying inflatables in those colors. That has helped while you're in the pool. There might be a hive nearby and they are looking at the closest water source? I have a lemon tree near the pool that attracts bees but they don't all necessarily drop into the pool. Other than that I can't explain why you're inundated by so many. I'd say I get a total of 10 in a 24 hour period. I just consider it the "cost" of having a large body of water available to critters, winged and otherwise!

Just to make sure, are you referring to the little bees that are also neon green in color or striped? These are called sweat bees and are actually a valuable pollinator of our food supply. Being pro-animal, insect and all, my suggestion would be on the side of diverting them away from your pool rather than killing them, but I can certainly understand their annoyance to you because we have quite a few of them here as well and those stings really grab your attention. I keep my returns focused upwards in order to break the surface of the water up rather than having a shiny mirrored surface, and also have another body of water available for them to get their water from (it's a small garden fountain, but a birdbath is good too). I read that having a hummingbird feeder nearby will draw them because of the sugar in the food. And, of course, skimming them off. I keep a net by the side of the pool to use even when I'm swimming.

Good luck and enjoy your new pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.