Another cloudy pool problem

Jan 7, 2010
We have been having problems with balancing our pool as of late. I ordered the TF-100 test kit this morning, but have been going to the pool store the past couple of days getting my numbers. It appears as if the water is clear on the top half and cloudy farther down. I have numbers for the past couple of days. The pool is a 27' AGP with salt water generator. The pump has been running 24 hrs a day for the past 4 days. The SWG is set to run 8 hours a day.

So here's the numbers (minus the CC, the pool store doesn't do that):

July 14
TC: 7
FC: 7
pH: 8.5
TA: 106
CYA: 60
total adj alk: 88
total hardness: 262

Added 1 gal of muriatic acid. Added 4 ounces of polysheen blue. (Heavy rain overnight into the 15th. 2+ inches)

July 15
TC: 6
FC: 6
pH: 7.5
TA: 105
CYA: 29
total adj alk: 96
total hardness: 270

Added 6 lbs of Stabilizer 100.

July 16
TC: 5.5
FC: 5.5
pH 7.5
TA: 98
CYA: 82
total adj alk: 73
total hardness: 272

Added 2.5 lbs baking soda. (Rain overnight 1/2 inch)

July 17 took a water sample from the top and also the very bottom.
TC: 5.5 for both
FC: 5.5 both
pH: 7.8 both
TA: 120 top 155 bottom
CYA: 130 top 120 bottom
total adjusted alk.: 81 top 119 bottom
total hardness: 310 top 276 bottom

Please help, the people at the pool place have no idea what's going on with our pool, and neither do I.

I don't trust this pool store's testing or their advice. It's hard to really know what is going on unless we have some testing numbers that we can trust and those would come in the form of a TF-100 kit. When it arrives, run your tests, post them, and we will go from there.

Don't add any polysheen blue anymore.

What you might consider doing in the time being is bumping your FC a little by either using bleach or by increasing your SWCG output. When you get your kit, post the real numbers and we will get things right.

Water that is just slightly cloudy can appear to only be cloudy lower down. Only when you are looking through enough total water does the cloudiness become obvious.

What kind of filter do you have? Slightly cloudy water with no obvious algae is often caused by a problem with the filter.

How is your return fitting setup? Do you have a return that can be aimed, or does it point straight out from the wall?

I am concerned that your CYA test results are all over the place. Their CYA testing is obviously nor reliable, so you actual CYA level could be almost anything. Some of the other numbers are behaving inconsistently as well, but not anywhere near as dramatically as CYA.

Thanks for the replies.

I have a 100 lb sand filter (18 inch) that had new sand put in this year when I set up the pool.

I also have the return nozzle aimed at a 45 degree angle away from the skimmer and I'd say about 15 to 20 degrees down into the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.