PSI reading on Pool Filter

jlhaz

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2007
Another question please? :)

I'm not sure if I should keep this all in the same thread, if so I apologize :)

I noticed when looking at the pressure valve for the sand filter while it's running normally is less than 5 PSI (it fluctuates, but looks like between 1-2PSI)

I also notice air bubbles coming from the return lines, so do these 2 things in combination show that I have more of a problem than I think?

I read the solution about a new pump o-ring, so I will get a new one in the morning. Is this indicative of any other kind of problem?

Thanks again!

That could mean a lot of different things, nothing at all, broken pressure gauge, pump isn't really priming right because of the air, your system runs at an unusually low PSI, there is some suction side blockage, and on and on.

I would make sure that both your skimmer basket and pump strainer basket are clear and the water level in the skimmer is good. Then tell us if you have seen any different behavior on the pressure recently, or has it always done this? And check the pump strainer basket lid O-ring for a good seal as you said.

JasonLion said:
That could mean a lot of different things, nothing at all, broken pressure gauge, pump isn't really priming right because of the air, your system runs at an unusually low PSI, there is some suction side blockage, and on and on.

I would make sure that both your skimmer basket and pump strainer basket are clear and the water level in the skimmer is good. Then tell us if you have seen any different behavior on the pressure recently, or has it always done this? And check the pump strainer basket lid O-ring for a good seal as you said.

Thanks for the info. I noticed that they both were clear, but the pump basket was cracked. I'll add that to my shopping list tomorrow :) I also checked the water level, and that is fine as well, right where they told me it should be.

I've only been the owner for a few months so I don't know if this was normal behavior or not. I remember seeing the guage before I understood the whole system and it did the same thing so there have been no changes along those lines as I have noticed.

You know, come to think of it too...when the pool guy backwashed the filter, the water was coming out of the filter with strong force. I wouldn't want to stand in front of it thats for sure, so maybe that would point to the guage being faulty as well?

I'm telling you, this pool has lacked TLC for a LOOOONG time. I'll be so glad when I get it running like it should be!

Tomorrow when I get the parts and have at it again, I'll repost if the o-ring and pump basket made a difference.

Thanks again!

JL,

Posting seperate threads for questions is actually a good idea. It lets responders focus on one issue at a time and keeps the thread easy to follow.

That psi is VERY low compared to most pools. I would suspect the filter guage (cheap to replace) first.

Do you have moveable "eyeball" fittings where the water returns into the pool? If those are missing, that will reduce pressure by quite a bit but not normally that low.

A restriction on the suction side of your pump is a possibility but doesn't seem nearly as likely since you have witnessed strong flow from the filter.

OK, I got a new guage, but I tried to take the old one off and it was hard to remove. I didn't want to risk breaking anything, is it normal to feel like this? Will I need tools to remove it or should it be able to be removed by hand?

Thanks!

A little more than hand tight wouldn't surprise me. When putting a gauge in you want some teflon tape on it and hand tight. But once it has been in there for a while it might well get a little stuck. The mounting should be reasonably sturdy, using a wrench shouldn't be a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.