Please help me to diagnose a circulation problem

Jun 8, 2010
Boston, MA
Please help me to diagnose my water circulation issue. I have a 1 hp single speed pump that goes through a 38 sf Anthony Apollo DE Grid Filter. Up until now the whole system was pumping fine with good suction at the skimmer and a good flow at the returns. Yesterday I backwashed the filter prior to adding CYA to the pool and when I was finished the pressure was 12 psi at the filter (which is normal after backwashing). I ran the pump all last night and all day today to let the CYA dissolve and when I checked the pool after work today at 5:30 PM, the system seemed to be running fine and the pressure at the filter was 10 psi. At 6:00 PM, the system shut off automatically as it was programmed to do. I turned the pump on manually to allow more time for the CYA to dissolve and the pressure at the filter was 0 psi. You could hear water moving through the pipes, but it was moving significantly slower than normal. The flow at the returns was approximately ¼ as strong as normal. Is this a pump issue, or is there a blockage in one of the lines?

It sounds like you have an air leak that isn't letting your pump fully prime. Check the strainer basket lid gasket and your skimmer weir for free motion. Check that the water level is up far enough in the skimmer to avoid a vortex in the skimmer. Finally make sure all the valves for the skimmer and drain are open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.