tingling felt near pool light

Jul 16, 2010
I have a crazy situation and am at my wits ends regarding what to do... we have a pool with 3 500w lights. shortly after moving in to our house the 2 lights at the ends of the pools went out. the spa light never worked at all. / we had a pool company come out and try and repair the lights. they could only pull one out and replace one at one end of the pool, which they did and it has worked just fine. They disengaged the other 2 from the box. The other day my wife noticed that she would feel a tingling in her hands when she put them close to the light itself. It does not make any difference if the light is on or off. this only happens near the pool light that actually works and had been repaired. i have turned off the breakers to the pool and she still feels the tingling. i have turned off the breakers to the house and she still feels the tingling. I can feel kind of a tingling but it seems you have to actually be in the pool to really feel it. my wife is not prone to seeing/feeling/hearing things and i can feel it too. any ideas?

Welcome to TFP Scott.

You need to get an electrician to look at it. You likely have a miswired light and possibly an inadequate bonding system. I would stop using the pool until you have it looked at.

I agree what you have is likely a bonding or grounding problem. Make sure the electrician you contact has experience with pool installation and is well versed in electrical bonding requirements, a surprising number of electricians have little clue about bonding, and just do it the way they always have with little or no thought as to what is going on. The NEC does not make it any easier with use of cryptic terms, and confusing wording (grounded conductor vs. grounding conductor which are 2 very different things).

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.