Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thinking about vinyl pool renovation?

1. Back To Top    #1
    SW Louisiana

Thinking about vinyl pool renovation?

I am trying to make some long term pool renovation plans, and want your thoughts on the practicality. As you probably can tell from my signature the pool is an indoor vinyl lined pool, it was built 30 years ago and as was fairly standard for the time it is a 20x40 rectangle with hopper bottom and no built in steps only 2 ladders and a diving board (drop in steps were added a few years ago) no bottom drain, only skimmer and return eyeballs (in traditional across the pool Y layout skimmer at the side midpoint ). The building is of steel I beam construction metal roof and blown in foam insulation with concrete block walls and a dozen sliding glass doors surrounding the pool. The current plan starts with replacing the roof and blown in insulation this fall (the roof and insulation are nearing the end of their practical life, support purlins are rusted through, insulation is starting to delaminate, etc ) and then installing new roof top solar panels next spring ( hopefully also replacing the aging sliding glass doors, perhaps with double sliding or french doors). Various options of roofing and insulation material are currently under consideration, as is changing type and position for sky-lights, exhaust fans, etc.

My goal now is to plan out other long term upgrades, and make sure that they will fit in with the current phase of remodelling and vice versa, these changes would probably be done at the next liner replacement, which I hope is still several years away. I am looking for advice from people that have made any of these sorts of changes to existing pools:

Addition of a ledge around the hopper end of the pool, night now it goes from wall to sloped hopper

Addition of smaller side lights (currently has a lighting niche under diving board), this may depend on what is on the market at the time, I know a lot of new LED stuff is coming out

Addition of built in corner steps to replace drop in unit (this may require moving return eyeball fitting), not sure if a fiber glass unit or molded into liner is a better option here.

Any other upgrades you think I should consider?

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2

Stephenville, Texas

Re: Thinking about vinyl pool renovation?

My pool is a totaly different animal but the best money I EVER spent was for bottom drain. Not even sure if it is possible in your situation.
    Might also consider a roof ventalation/evacuation fan just to clear things out quickly once in a while.
    Converting from Baquacil
    20 year old AGV 11000 gal, Hayward PRO 150 lb sand filter with glass media, 1 hp Hayward pump. 1 skimmer, 1 return, bottom drain (best money I spent), Baracuda W01698 Ranger Suction Side Automatic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: Thinking about vinyl pool renovation?

Late night, long day - Let me try to proffer advice tomorrow or Sunday
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)