Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ascorbic Acid treatment

1. Back To Top    #1

Ascorbic Acid treatment

Question-

I do not have iron in the water ( all test indicat 0 ppm) but small bits of iron in the mini pebble. Vitamin C has done wonders on the rust spots.

If I did an ascorbic acid treatment and continued that route would that prevent the rust stains from coming back or am i better off just doing the vitamin C spot treatment whenever spots occur?

Thanks- also- I have know idea if I spelled the acid name right
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ascorbic Acid treatment

Yes, it is ascorbic acid, you got it right.

If there is iron in your pebbles, the stains are likely to keep coming back for many many years. If the pebbles just scraped some iron off of something else (unlikely) then the stains won't come back. You are probably stuck doing a treatment every month or two for some time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason-

Can I get away with just the vitamin C treatment. Seems much less costly and time consuming than a full acid treatment.

Are there sequestriants for iron?
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sure, the vitamin C tablets are just fine.

Yes, nearly all of the common sequestrants are good for use with iron. You may not need very much, since there probably isn't all that much iron.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I was thinking of using the Jacks magic in th winter (we don't close here) so I dont have to go diving to the bottom of a cold pool.

18,000 gallon pool. What dosage would you think proper.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have stains only around your iron-containing pebbles, sequestrant probably won't help. You'll be better off just spot treating again in the spring, or rigging up something so you don't have to get in the cold water.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden