My situation

Jun 19, 2010
Heflin, Alabama
I have been working on putting up my new to me pool since Mid june and I am at the point of putting in the liner. I am trying to figure out if I need to follow the "Beginners guide for Seasonal and Temp pools" for the opening of the pool or what. Is that the usual start up procedure for all AGP's? Also I bought all of my equipment before I found this site and I have a 5-way test kit from National pool wholesalers, do you think that will get me through the rest of this season. Anyway I am hopefully putting in my liner this weekend(if the rain holds off) and I will post up test results after it is filled. I have a little experience with pools, the very first summer job I had was at a country club when I was 14(loooong time ago) and I took care of the pool. Anyway thanks for any advice you can give.

You can test your fill water to get an idea of what you will need, so you have it on hand at the time of fill.

How are you planning to chlorinate? Since you are here and reading pool school I am assuming liquid chlorine/bleach.

You can follow the dichlor startup process in the temp pools guide, or you can add CYA and start using liquid chlorine right away (my personal preference).

I assume the test kit can't test CYA, so you will have to keep track of what you add to estimate CYA level. Also, it probably doesn't do CC, which means you won't know if it is starting to get away from you until you notice increased chlorine demand.

Yes I am planning on the BBB method (wife thought I was crazy when I told her this)

I have seen the CYA start up, but could not find it again.

The test kit, I know it does Bromine, Chlorine, PH, Acid, and something else

I will do a test on my tap water this evening and see what it reads.

Any other suggestions??

The CYA/bleach start up is cheaper than the Dichlor route and fairly straightforward - one can usually find the stabilizer at Walmart. You use the Pool calculator to figure out how much CYA to add to reach 50ppm (if you plan to add daily bleach additions, that's a good target.) You can add the CYA as soon as the pool is full and water is circulating thru the filter (which you should leave running till the CYA is completely dissolved.) it takes 5-7 days for the CYA to fully register - but 24 hours after adding it, assume that is your new level, and adjust the FC accordingly (see the CYA chart for your target levels.)

For that first swim (it might be cold!) use the Pool Calc to figure out how much bleach to add to reach 2ppm. This is the min amount until the CYA takes effect, then you would refer to the CYA chart for your target chlorine levels.

Assuming the water is clear and the PH is in range, there is no reason 5yo can't swim immediately. Your tap water results will tell us if your PH/TA are acceptable or not.

ignore references to bromine since this will be a chlorine pool.
:) Hope this helps!

A 27 foot round pool is fairly large and may take multiple days to fill depending on water pressure, etc., I would make sure to get some chlorine in there within 12 hours of starting the fill process.

frustratedpoolmom said:
The CYA/bleach start up is cheaper than the Dichlor route and fairly straightforward - one can usually find the stabilizer at Walmart. You use the Pool calculator to figure out how much CYA to add to reach 50ppm (if you plan to add daily bleach additions, that's a good target.) You can add the CYA as soon as the pool is full and water is circulating thru the filter (which you should leave running till the CYA is completely dissolved.) it takes 5-7 days for the CYA to fully register - but 24 hours after adding it, assume that is your new level, and adjust the FC accordingly (see the CYA chart for your target levels.)

For that first swim (it might be cold!) use the Pool Calc to figure out how much bleach to add to reach 2ppm. This is the min amount until the CYA takes effect, then you would refer to the CYA chart for your target chlorine levels.

Assuming the water is clear and the PH is in range, there is no reason 5yo can't swim immediately. Your tap water results will tell us if your PH/TA are acceptable or not.

ignore references to bromine since this will be a chlorine pool.
:) Hope this helps!

So I need to have the Filter set to Filter and not just recirculate so the the CYA also gets in the filter sand??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.