Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae - Vacation plan of action

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae - Vacation plan of action

I have to go away for 4 days (starting today), and I am dealing with an algae problem. The next few days are supposed to be very hot here (high 90s). Yesterday the water was clear but there was quite a bit of algae on the bottom. The ph was a little low, so I brought it up to 7.2. I put in 2-128 oz bottles of bleach last night and today the water is cloudy blue green. I was thinking that to keep at least some chlorine in the pool I would fill two floaters with some pucks, and I have one leftover frog bac pac that I could put in. My CYA is already high at about 70 but I don't want to leave the pool with no chlorine as I can imagine what it will be like when I return. Does this sound like a good plan? Are there any better ideas? I have a 15,500 gal above ground vinyl pool.
    15,500 gal above ground vinyl pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae - Vacation plan of action

Unfortunately you are in a tough situation. When I first read your post quickly I thought you were leaving in 4 days, and I thought "OK you need to buckle down and really attack that algae and you will probably be able to lick it before you leave." As it is you really don't have much of an option.

The pucks will add to your CYA and wont be able to put a dent in the algae as the FC they release will be rapidly consumed.
    The frog will have the same result as the pucks plus adding copper

Defeating the algae is going to take a few days of attention. Do you have a friend that owes you a favor?

Otherwise you best bet is probably bring the pool up to shock level with bleach, add the pucks, and hope for the best. Most likely you will return to lots of algae.

At that point you should drain 1/3 of you pool and refill to get the CYA down to a reasonable level and attack the algae in earnest with liquid chlorine according to the "How to Shock" article in pool school.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured that the pucks wouldn't really kill the algae, I am hoping that perhaps it will leave at least some measure of chlorine in the pool. As for the frog bac pac, does the actual bac pac have copper in it? I did not replace the mineral portion of the frog system this year. I kept the used mineral cartridge in place because I have a few bac pacs to use up, but I am assuming that the minerals are used up since you are supposed to replace it every year. If the bac pac has copper in it, I won't use it.

4. Back To Top    #4

You are correct...I see "frog" and immediately think copper.
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

the bac pac doesn't have copper in it.
    I'd go ahead and use the tablets or bac pac, and then replace some water when you get back to lower your CYA level.
    Do you have a solar cover? Raising the water up to shock level and covering it should do the trick.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

No, unfortunately I don't have a solar cover. I guess there's no kind of slow release unstabilized chlorine. That would be helpful; at least I wouldn't be adding to my already high CYA.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by annc
    ...I guess there's no kind of slow release unstabilized chlorine...
    Nope. They either have CYA which builds up and causes problems or calcium which builds up and causes problems...which brings us to liquid chlorine (bleach).

8. Back To Top    #8

What about a liquidator? wouldnt that count as slow release unstabilized?
    18'x24' (10,000 gal) above ground pool, 19" Proline sand filter (45 GPM), Jacuzzi 1.5 HP 2 speed pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ShockerLU3
    What about a liquidator? wouldnt that count as slow release unstabilized?
    Yes, of course while you are technically correct, I believe the OP was referring to chemicals and not equipment. LQ is a fine choice.