Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool-what should I do??

1. Back To Top    #1

Near Nashville TN

New Pool-what should I do??

I will be filling up my new 20x40 IG vinyl in a few days. i have an Autopilot SWG- what should I do on day one to start my chemicals-
    I think I should add:

CYA to a level of around 60-70??
    Bleach to start before salt kicks in- not sure how much
    baking soda for PH?? Or borax??

Thanks for help
    20x40 In ground Grecian Lazy L- Vinyl
    AutoPilot SWG Dig-220, SC-48
    Hayward Dual speed 1.5 hp pump
    Hayward sand filter
    Blue Diamond Robotic Vacuum
    BBB method BABY!!

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: New Pool-what should I do??

Get a test kit quick, before you start adding water. If you know what the fill water contains, you'll have a pretty good idea of what you'll be needing before the first drop of water hits the vinyl.

Bookmark Pool Calculator. That and your test kit will be your best friends for a few days at least. has easy instructions that will tell you what to add when. Ignore the "temporary" part - it's the same process for you.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: New Pool-what should I do??

Once you get a test kit, or if you can get a pool store to test your water for you, you should post a full set of water test results. Then we can give you specific recommendations of what to do.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School