Using silicone around skimmer

I have brand new skimmer on new pool installed - cut the liner and isolation foam, insert gasket, tight-up all 10 screws. Tested it with bucket of water into the skimmer - can see 2 leaks on the outside, both bottom corners (probably same problem on the inside). Tried to tight-up screws even more but .... same leaks.

Is it ok to use silicone to eliminate those leaks or it is bad idea?

I'm with Kevin.....I think you have a problem with a gasket on the wrong side or something like that. Silicone may work but it is likely masking something that should be corrected first.

Here is the skimmer:

560-DOA60S%20Breakdown%20Small.jpg

Faceplate Rubber Sandwich Gasket I have has U-shaped profile.

Since it appears that you just installed this skimmer I'd remove it and inspect the gasket to make absolutely sure it's enveloping the liner and sidewall correctly. I have the exact same skimmer except with the widemouth adaptor.

looks like I found the problem - liner under the gasket. As you can see on pics, it is tucked under the gasket and causing uneven thickness of the gasket. I cut those triangles off, placed linet ON TOP of the gasket and reinstalled skimmer - no silicon yet. It holds. I will start filling pool so skimmer is under water and that will show how well gasket holds water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cut the vinyl off around the gasket on the outside so it doesn't get between the gasket and the skimmer body. It's unusual for a butterfly gasket to leak. Try taking off the gasket and cleaning it with a little soap and water to make sure the gasket is free of debris. Make sure the wall and liner are also clean. You can try some jacks lube on the gasket and screws. Tighten the screws hand tight and tighten as you would a wheel (which means starting at top screw [a couple turns] then do the bottom screw [couple turns] then do a side screw so that the skimmer is tightened down evenly.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.