Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using silicone around skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Using silicone around skimmer

I have brand new skimmer on new pool installed - cut the liner and isolation foam, insert gasket, tight-up all 10 screws. Tested it with bucket of water into the skimmer - can see 2 leaks on the outside, both bottom corners (probably same problem on the inside). Tried to tight-up screws even more but .... same leaks.

Is it ok to use silicone to eliminate those leaks or it is bad idea?
    15x30 oval Bermuda Aluminum 54 in-ground, Sta-rite pump and filter, AquaPRO® PRO500 heatpump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Using silicone around skimmer

Silicone might work but there is a problem somewhere post a picture of your skimmer
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I'm with Kevin.....I think you have a problem with a gasket on the wrong side or something like that. Silicone may work but it is likely masking something that should be corrected first.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Not disagreeing that there is a problem that needs to be fixed but I used silicone on mine to seal it up. Worked fine for me. Just be sure you give it plenty of time to cure or the water will wash it right off and it'll end up in the pool water.
    18'x24' (10,000 gal) above ground pool, 19" Proline sand filter (45 GPM), Jacuzzi 1.5 HP 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank everybody for answers. I will take pictures first thing in the morning.

Just found manual - I have Flo-Pro II by Waterway, model 560-DOA60S. Silly thing has 10 screws but nothing in bottom corners where leak actually happens.
    15x30 oval Bermuda Aluminum 54 in-ground, Sta-rite pump and filter, AquaPRO® PRO500 heatpump

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is the skimmer:

Faceplate Rubber Sandwich Gasket I have has U-shaped profile.

7. Back To Top    #7

Since it appears that you just installed this skimmer I'd remove it and inspect the gasket to make absolutely sure it's enveloping the liner and sidewall correctly. I have the exact same skimmer except with the widemouth adaptor.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Widemouth has screw right in the corner and this baby has nothing :-/

9. Back To Top    #9

Here is what I have:
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Back To Top    #10

looks like I found the problem - liner under the gasket. As you can see on pics, it is tucked under the gasket and causing uneven thickness of the gasket. I cut those triangles off, placed linet ON TOP of the gasket and reinstalled skimmer - no silicon yet. It holds. I will start filling pool so skimmer is under water and that will show how well gasket holds water.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

cut the vinyl off around the gasket on the outside so it doesn't get between the gasket and the skimmer body. It's unusual for a butterfly gasket to leak. Try taking off the gasket and cleaning it with a little soap and water to make sure the gasket is free of debris. Make sure the wall and liner are also clean. You can try some jacks lube on the gasket and screws. Tighten the screws hand tight and tighten as you would a wheel (which means starting at top screw [a couple turns] then do the bottom screw [couple turns] then do a side screw so that the skimmer is tightened down evenly.)
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks, X-PertPool. Liner under the gasket was the problem. It is all fine now.