Ok you guys finally got me

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
I'm finally breaking down and switching from pucks to bleach.

I'm a little nervous since Ive never seen a pool look as crystal clear as mine does, but Ive been noticing my CYA creeping up all summer long.

Beginning of the summer CYA = almost 0
1 month in on pucks CYA = 20
2 months in on pucks CYA = 30
3 months in on pucks (currently) CYA = 40

Im figuring that is a pretty good CYA to hold at so I dont have much of a choice but to switch to bleach I guess :)

Maybe next summer I'll invest in a liquidator or something.
I resisted this for so long but now that I have evidence of the CYA creeping up, I need to be pro-active before I have problems.

Now that Im done ranting, I do have a quick question :mrgreen:

Can I just leave my chlorinator installed the way it is and shut it off (it has a switch to turn it off). Im assuming there would be no reason I couldn't but figured I would ask.

Thanks...

Well you do have another option. You could drain half your water and go from there. Ok just kidding. :-D

It's perfectly fine to leave the chlorinator in line and just shut it off. It's actually preferred in your situation. That way you could add a few pucks to it if you have to be away for a few days.

Bama Rambler said:
Well you do have another option. You could drain half your water and go from there. Ok just kidding. :-D

It's perfectly fine to leave the chlorinator in line and just shut it off. It's actually preferred in your situation. That way you could add a few pucks to it if you have to be away for a few days.

LOL yeah sure :)

Ok great. I was hoping that would be the response.

Im not ready to give up my 73% cal-hypo yet though. :hammer:
If I ever want to bring the FC up to shock, Im still going with that.

mitch08 said:
Can I just leave my chlorinator installed the way it is and shut it off (it has a switch to turn it off). Im assuming there would be no reason I couldn't but figured I would ask.

Thanks...

I did and then conveniently it started leaking..either air into my return line when it was off or water on the floor of my equipment room when it was on with nothing in it.

Darn...shucks, gotta hate that. Now I have a liquidator...

mitch08 said:
Im not ready to give up my 73% cal-hypo yet though. :hammer:
If I ever want to bring the FC up to shock, Im still going with that.

As long as you are testing regularly and accurately and keeping those records you will find that there are times that any of these sources of chlorine (pucks, bleach, cal-hypo) may be either allowed or preferred. Sometimes you want to get the chemicals in and correct, other times you can do it slowly.

This year, I began the year with low CH and low CYA from winter rains and FC that had gotten to 0 more than a few times. Shocked wtih cal-hypo, and since then I have used a varying combination of pucks and bleach and cal-hypo. Pucks for slowly raising CYA, cal-hypo for slowly raising CH, bleach for affecting neither of those, plus MA when needed.

Many inches of rain dilutes the pool and everything falls so add CYA and CH, no rain for a long time means lots of fill water due to evaporation with the 340 TA that brings so MA to lower TA and pH.

Next year I may just add CYA and Calcium increaser all at once and not mess with it for so long. It may be that this pool has just gotten so easy compared to my first year, last year, that I needed something to play around with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.