Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ok you guys finally got me

1. Back To Top    #1

Ok you guys finally got me

I'm finally breaking down and switching from pucks to bleach.

I'm a little nervous since Ive never seen a pool look as crystal clear as mine does, but Ive been noticing my CYA creeping up all summer long.

Beginning of the summer CYA = almost 0
    1 month in on pucks CYA = 20
    2 months in on pucks CYA = 30
    3 months in on pucks (currently) CYA = 40

Im figuring that is a pretty good CYA to hold at so I dont have much of a choice but to switch to bleach I guess

Maybe next summer I'll invest in a liquidator or something.
    I resisted this for so long but now that I have evidence of the CYA creeping up, I need to be pro-active before I have problems.

Now that Im done ranting, I do have a quick question

Can I just leave my chlorinator installed the way it is and shut it off (it has a switch to turn it off). Im assuming there would be no reason I couldn't but figured I would ask.

Thanks...
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ok you guys finally got me

Well you do have another option. You could drain half your water and go from there. Ok just kidding.

It's perfectly fine to leave the chlorinator in line and just shut it off. It's actually preferred in your situation. That way you could add a few pucks to it if you have to be away for a few days.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Well you do have another option. You could drain half your water and go from there. Ok just kidding.

It's perfectly fine to leave the chlorinator in line and just shut it off. It's actually preferred in your situation. That way you could add a few pucks to it if you have to be away for a few days.
    LOL yeah sure

Ok great. I was hoping that would be the response.

Im not ready to give up my 73% cal-hypo yet though.
    If I ever want to bring the FC up to shock, Im still going with that.
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

What is your CH? You may want to rethink that.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by svenpup
    What is your CH? You may want to rethink that.
    Around 200 or so. Vinyl pool. Never had any issues before.
    For the amount Ill be shocking it shouldnt be an issue.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mitch08

Can I just leave my chlorinator installed the way it is and shut it off (it has a switch to turn it off). Im assuming there would be no reason I couldn't but figured I would ask.

Thanks...
    I did and then conveniently it started leaking..either air into my return line when it was off or water on the floor of my equipment room when it was on with nothing in it.

Darn...shucks, gotta hate that. Now I have a liquidator...
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mitch08
    Im not ready to give up my 73% cal-hypo yet though.
    If I ever want to bring the FC up to shock, Im still going with that.
    As long as you are testing regularly and accurately and keeping those records you will find that there are times that any of these sources of chlorine (pucks, bleach, cal-hypo) may be either allowed or preferred. Sometimes you want to get the chemicals in and correct, other times you can do it slowly.

This year, I began the year with low CH and low CYA from winter rains and FC that had gotten to 0 more than a few times. Shocked wtih cal-hypo, and since then I have used a varying combination of pucks and bleach and cal-hypo. Pucks for slowly raising CYA, cal-hypo for slowly raising CH, bleach for affecting neither of those, plus MA when needed.

Many inches of rain dilutes the pool and everything falls so add CYA and CH, no rain for a long time means lots of fill water due to evaporation with the 340 TA that brings so MA to lower TA and pH.

Next year I may just add CYA and Calcium increaser all at once and not mess with it for so long. It may be that this pool has just gotten so easy compared to my first year, last year, that I needed something to play around with.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.