Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Making a Gunite Water Slide Slick

1. Back To Top    #1

Making a Gunite Water Slide Slick

I migrated over from pool forum. I have a water slide that was built out of gunite. The slide is not very slick. I would like to make it real slick so that you slide down it fast. I was thinking of Thompson's Water Seal to seal it and make it slick. If not this product, does anyone have a suggestion on what I should use?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida
    Interesting. I've often wondered about the "slideability" of a gunite slide. I have no experience with them so others with gunite slides will have better opinions.

Thompson's would not be my first choice. Designed for wood, I think it would penetrate too deeply into the need a better surface seal. Polyurethane would be excellent but is notorious for yellowing pretty badly in a short period of time.

My thinking is to find a commercial supplier of concrete finishing and related products (they're a little hard to find but they exist in most cities of say 25,000 or so). There is a wide variety of concrete sealers available and may come closer to what you're looking for.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Waaay NW MN
    I would fiber-glass the surface area, or I should say my DH would.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD
    A couple of coats of concrete sealer should give you a nice smooth surface and then you can wax it to get it just right.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Poly wood gloss?