Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: At my wits end with Algae!!

1. Back To Top    #1

At my wits end with Algae!!

I have been having constant trouble with algae lately and have no idea what to do. I am still pretty new to owning a pool and seriously need help!

Here's my numbers:

CYA 40
    TC 7.2
    FC 7
    PH 7.7
    TA 124
    CH 370

I have been keeping the chlorine levels high in an effort to kill the algae but the pool is still pale green and milky looking. I have been faithfully brushing the entire pool every day. Any info or ideas would be GREAT!!!

Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: At my wits end with Algae!!

Welcome to TFP.

Not as hard as it seems. The whole secret is to raise your chlorine to shock level, which for your CYA is 16ppm per the Chlorine CYA Chart The key part that most people miss is that you need the water to stay at that level all the time. That may require testing and adding more chlorine every hour for the first 5 or 6 hours until you don't see much drop between additions, then every 4 hours for the next day or so, then every 8 hours until the algae is gone. Even a few hours of no chlorine can set you back to square one.

Here are a couple of articles to read:

Defeating Algae

Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Will it help by using Chlorine tabs in floaters?
    IG pebbletec pool: size of pool: 27,000 gal; filter: cartridge - Hayward Superstar Clear; pump size: 1.5 HP; TF 100 Test kit - got it on 7-29-10; The Pool Cleaner-4-wheel suction model; Pool calculator: http://www.poolcalculator.com/; bleach calc: http://troublefreepool.com/files/BleachCalc262.exe

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kal2002
    Will it help by using Chlorine tabs in floaters?
    Not really. The chlorine isn't released fast enough to keep up with the demand.

Like JohnT said, faithful hourly addition of chlorine until the demand starts to lessen, and then several time per day until the shocking process is complete. Patience will be rewarded.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you so much for the direction. I am going to begin my treatments now. Will post results later!