Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuuming trouble

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuuming trouble

Hey everyone,

I did a search and I still can't find what I need. I'm also not sure if this is the correct area.

When I vacuum my pool it doesn't seem to be getting rid of the debris or dirt. Here's what I do when vacuuming and the equipment I have:

I use a pole with a vacuum head attached to it and obviously a hose. I have an inground pool with a Hayward sand filter.

First off I put the vacuum head in the water with the hose attached. I then fill the hose up with water using the jet. When all the air is out I quickly put the end of the hose into the hole below the skimmer basket. So everything seems to be going good and I start to vacuum the bottom of the pool and I notice dirt or debris shooting back into the pool from the water jets. I do leave the the dial on the filter in the "filter" setting right? I have backwashed and it still doesn't seem to help. I also just put new sand in about a month ago. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Hayward sand filter & super pump, Pool is weird shape but rough figures are 23x10x4.5 for a volume of 7800 gallons. Fiberglass shell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuuming trouble

Any chance you could have cracked something while you were changing sand? Even a hairline crack, barely visible to the naked eye, can open up under pressure.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll double check but I haven't noticed any water leaking out anywhere. I had a friend that works on pools help me and I know we were very careful. Who knows though we might have. Thanks
    Hayward sand filter & super pump, Pool is weird shape but rough figures are 23x10x4.5 for a volume of 7800 gallons. Fiberglass shell

4. Back To Top    #4

Is there any reason why you can't vacuum to waste? After vacuuming, a few seconds on rinse and then back to filter. (Before I found TFP I was unaware of the practice of vacuuming through the filter.)
    11,000 Imp galls inground hopper 15' x 35', Delifol liner (vinyl), sand filter, Abrisud Classic cover, Palintest 315C test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Kes
    Is there any reason why you can't vacuum to waste? After vacuuming, a few seconds on rinse and then back to filter. (Before I found TFP I was unaware of the practice of vacuuming through the filter.)
    Lose a lot of water doing this every time. I typically only vacuum to waste at the beginning of the year or if something went bad wrong, which hasn't happened since going BBB

If you cracked a lateral inside the filter, you won't see a visible leak outside the filter canister.

6. Back To Top    #6

I had the same problem early this year. I was told by my pool repair guy that a sand filter will not catch the small particles, particularly when it is clean. So, I vacuumed to waste. I find that if I do not backwash before I vacuum I get a better result. YMMV
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

7. Back To Top    #7

Can't believe that no one else mentioned this...

Get a skim-vac plate for the skimmer, leave the basket in place and line it with a skimmer sock when you vacuum.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

Great idea. I will be looking into this, this weekend. thanks!