Cloudy Pool

wmr

Jul 3, 2010
Charleston, WV
A month ago I switched from Bacquil to chlorine and it has worked great. Very glad I stumbled on this site.I followed the instructions closely in my conversion. I've changed my sand and have not shocked the pool in 2 weeks. I've purchased a test kit and have been checking the water almost once a day. The only issue I have is the water is still a little cloudy. I can see the bottom, but it's not clear. It has never gotten crystal clear. Here are my readings:

FC - 5.5
CC - .5
PH - 7.5
T/A - 70
CH - 230
CYA - 30
Anyone have any idea what I need to do next?

You could try a little DE in the sand filter, or a clarifier...sometime dirty sand filters better.

Did it ever go clear during your conversion? Did the FC hold overnight before you changed the sand? (this is unusual for the water to not go clear but have the FC hold...)

Lastly, how often are you running the filter? (Also I'm wondering if the filter is a little small for the pool)

frustratedpoolmom said:
You could try a little DE in the sand filter, or a clarifier...sometime dirty sand filters better.

Did it ever go clear during your conversion? Did the FC hold overnight before you changed the sand? (this is unusual for the water to not go clear but have the FC hold...)

Lastly, how often are you running the filter? (Also I'm wondering if the filter is a little small for the pool)

When I changed my sand last week it was clean, but I changed it anyway.The last couple of weeks it's been in the mid 90's here. Would the temperature be a factor?
There was a lot of algae in the pool when I started this so I thought it might be dead algae but it should have filtered out or settled to the bottom by now, right?
Yes the FC held overnight(for around 3 nights) before I changed the sand. I'm running the filter 2/7. How can I determine if the filter is the right size. It's the one that came with the pool (but I guess that doesn't mean anything does it) Looks like some research coming up. :-D
I'll add some clarifier and let you know how it turns out.
By the way this is a great site!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.