Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can you drain a pool below the returns and still run pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can you drain a pool below the returns and still run pump?

Having to drain our pool in order to have a fiberglass seat repaired. Way more water than we thought and it looks like the returns will be above water. The pool cannot be filled for about three days after the repair and we wanted to to keep the pump going using the main drains but was wondering if it was OK to have returns above the water line? Hopefully the liner will not float but not sure what our options are. Thanks in advance!
    inground liner Grecian "L"
    26000 gallons
    1 HP whisperflo, TA100 sand filter
    Autopilot digital SWG, SC-60 cell
    Hayward Colorlogic LED lights

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can you drain a pool below the returns and still run pump?

Having the returns above the water line is no problem. That's what fountains are doing. Moving the return above the water line.

As long as there is enough water in the shallow end you'll be fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

This may be obvious to you, but you need to close the valve(s) the skimmer(s) or have a Skimmer/Main Drain Diverter for the skimmer(s).
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Thought so but just wanted to make sure. Have the skimmers shut off Thanks!
    inground liner Grecian "L"
    26000 gallons
    1 HP whisperflo, TA100 sand filter
    Autopilot digital SWG, SC-60 cell
    Hayward Colorlogic LED lights

5. Back To Top    #5

Every fall when closing my pool I run my pump with the water level below the returns for a day. I drain the pool below the returns, then recirculate for a day and bring my chlorine level way up. It makes a lot of racket from the splashing Perfectly safe to do. Just make sure that you don't attempt to suck from the skimmer though, as you'd run your pump dry.
    18' X 36' X 4.5' vinyl oval in-ground 17K gallons, 250K BTU Pentair Master Temp NG heater, 1HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S200 sand filter, Hayward Pool Vac, Extreme mesh safety cover, TF-100 test kit.