LOTS OF BACKSWIMMERS!!!!! HHHEEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!!!!!

Krazy1

Jul 14, 2010
i'm new to the whole pool scene :whoot: i have a 24'x52" intex pool. it has rained for three days here and afterwards me and the family were going swimming until we got to the pool. and to my suprise there was probably 30 or better backswimmers having the time of there lives in my pool :grrrr: there are also what looks to be egg pods floating in the water :| i am running an intex chlorine generator, and i don't have borates in my pool :roll: (yet) can someone please help me get this straightened out :cheers:

clodda -- Here you go.
220px-Notoven2.jpg
They're smallish water bugs.

Click on the bottom link in my sig for the best darned test kit anywhere!

It seriously is the best kit. Once you get it we'll be able to give you much better advice because we'll know what the results really are. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Walmart sells a 6-way HTH test kit that might do in the interim. Make sure it's the 6-way drop based kit. If it's not going to be very long before you have the money to get a good kit I'd save the money till I could get a good one.

Let us know what drop kit you're using and we might can make do for a while.

Re: Re: LOTS OF BACKSWIMMERS!!!!! HHHEEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!!!!!

frustratedpoolmom said:
We need test results, a full set :)
Backswimmers tend to frequent pools where the water is not balanced properly.

I'm so going to concur. We filled our pool last weekend, it took 24 hours to fill with the garden hose. Within that 24 hours the pool gained well over a hundred backswimmers. Now that the water is balanced, well... My wife found one today. Probably a leftover.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Bama Rambler said:
clodda -- Here you go.
220px-Notoven2.jpg
They're smallish water bugs.
Thankfully I've not had a problem with water bugs!!! But last year towards the end of swimming season our pool was taken over by a bug that looked like a ant with cotton on it, and they had wings. Last fall we cut down the tree where they were coming from, so we are hoping that problem has been taken care.

I get them every once in awhile. Less so this year than in past years. Now, the spiders that walk on water...those are my nemesis this year. It's the thing bad dreams are made of.
My daughter always called our one or two backswimmers....'swimmy'...so every year when one appears, we welcome old friend 'swimmy' and play with it in the leaf net.
Then I kill it when she isn't looking. :mrgreen:

I assume your water is otherwise clear? So get your FC up according to the CYA chlorine chart, testing and adding it each evening. Do an overnight loss test. I suggest you add chlorine about 7-8 pm, and then at 10pm collect a sample. Test the FC level. Then test it again first thing in the morning before the sun hits the pool. If you are losing FC overnight, you'll need to shock the pool. You really need a good kit like the TF100 to shock properly. So in the meantime try to make due with what you have, and when you get your kit, post the results here and we can see where things are.

Keep us posted :)

Making it harder than it really is isn't hard to do with some of the things we use.

When looking at the chlorine/CYA chart you find your CYA level in the non-SWG chart and going across, the min level is the level you never want your FC to go below. The Target is what you want to enter in the pool calc so you'll add enough chlorine to get there. That way your FC won't drop below the min by the next evening when you test again.

Hmmm, that doesn't sound as clear as I hoped it would.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.