Too much salt in pool

Apr 30, 2010
Pool just over a month old and just now finally starting up Intellichlor. Had been using chlorine pucks for first month. Chemical levels were tested and fine yesterday. SO I added 680lbs of salt yesterday per the PB's instructions and started up the Intellichlor at 40%. Flow is fine but my light is flashing on the Intellichlor stating at have too much salt. Not sure how much but the light means more than 4200ppm. Is this normal on the initial add of salt? Will it eventually go down and there is nothing that needs to be done or do I need to do something?

680 lbs of salt will raise the salt level in a 24,000 gal pool 3385ppm. It takes salt about 24hours or more to completely dissolve and thouroughly mix in the water. I'd give it a while and see if it settles down.

wahoowa said:
The Easytouch says 4600ppm. Salt has been in for about 15 hours. Will it go down that much in 24 hours?

My experience with my IC-40, probably not, but you never know. Usually, it takes a while for the salt level readings to go UP on the Easytouch, not down, but YMMV.

As a side note, i've found the pool calculator to be a little inaccurate for salt (sorry Jason) :oops:
Also, your pool could be a bit smaller than you think, and the salt reading could be +/- 400 ppm different than what it actually is. As long as the cell light is green when it is supposed to be on and making chlorine, it is fine. The salt level will go down over time with splash out and top off.

Okay, I will let it run for a couple days, We have been getting some decent rain today so I would assume that will help also dilute it. I was just concerned that level would be bad for the equipment and needed to do something more drastic.

bk406 said:
wahoowa said:
As a side note, i've found the pool calculator to be a little inaccurate for salt (sorry Jason) :oops:

How so? I find it is right on. I've verified the ppm suggestions and they seem accurate. Probably, your ability to measure salt accurately is off. Test strips and SWG readouts are not very accurate. I used a refractometer from work to verify I was in the +/- 100 ppm range.

There could be a small amount of salt in your fill water, and other chemicals can add salt to your water over time.

You may be right on the salt water readout. I just find the pool calulator be to be off for me with salt; comes up high. Everything else is spot on though (TA, acid/base, FC, etc). Fill watwer has no salt, at least not any a tewst strip will read.
In the end , it doesnt matter what anything else says except what the SWG says. The reading on the IC-40 is what matters. That dictates if it will work or not work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just as an update, I am about 30 hours into it now. Last night, the Easy Touch read 4280ppm and the IC40 light was not blinking (steady green). This morning I am back to 4600ppm and the blinking green light is back on.

Dont worry about it. The salt meter on the easy touch doesnt actually measure "salt". It measures conductivity of the water. Several factors go into that like salt levels, of course, but also water temperature, etc. The error can be as much as 400-500 ppm. For example, mine measures between 3400 and 3900 depending on when the sensor reads the conductivity. You just overdosed the salt a bit.

If I truly did overdose, and it stays in the 4000+ ppm range, should I drain and add water or just let it run it's course and I won't need to add anything for a while :p
Don't want to damage any equipment and do have new diamond brite plaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.