Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brown Spots on the bottom of my pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

Brown Spots on the bottom of my pool!

HELP!!! We put in an above ground pool 4 years ago..we decided to use Pristine Blue because we heard it was safe and harmless for the kids..So we did..The product has worked GREAT! The water is crystal clear...We started to notice brown spots on the bottom of the pool about season 2. Not much of a problem yet..This is season 4- when we opened this spring the water was PERFECT and no brown spots- I was so relieved..Now July 13th OMG Huge brown spots all over the bottom..When I put chlorine on the them they fade. It looks awful. What is this from??? Fungus coming up from under the liner??? Why wouldn't they be there when we opened it and NOW they are everywhere...I am so embarrassed to have family over. I'm thinking about going to faithful chlorine.
    Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!!

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Brown Spots on the bottom of my pool!

Welcome to TFP.

If holding a puck on them causing them to fade they're organic (algae, etc). Adding enough chlorine to maintain a safe pool will likely fade them over time.

Pristine Blue is copper sulfate based. It is not a sanitizer nor is it approved as one. Do a search here for Pristine Blue and you'll see that everyone that uses it has had problems.

You need to switch to chlorine, it is an approved sanitizer and it's harmless enough that you most likely drink it every day.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your reply...are saying there IS fungus growing under our pool liner? Is there something that should be put down before the liner is in place to prevent that? and why weren't the spots there when we opened the pool this spring?? Just wondering...
    Thanks again

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

No, there is not fungus growing into your pool from under you liner. That's pretty much impossible. What you have is organic staining, which will clear up with "faithful chlorine"
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

No, this is improper pool chemistry. You are describing MY pool to a tee - back when I used the "pool frog" mineral ionizer.

2 months in to using BBB and maintaining a proper FC level, the stains faded and they have NEVER returned.

Start with Pool School and we can help you get your pool headed down the road to Trouble-Free.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner