Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Convert Softswim to Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Convert Softswim to Chlorine

Tired of spending the money for Softswim just to see it disappear. I currently have the following conditions.
    Softswim B - 30
    Softswim C - 0
    PH - 7.6
    TA - 113
    TH - 247

Is it easier to convert if I let the "B" level reach 0 or I am looking at monitoring the chlorine levels for several days?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Convert Softswim to Chlorine

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, it is a little easier to convert if your get the Softswim B level down to zero before you start, however it isn't critical that you do that. Either way, you will be monitoring chlorine levels for several days during the conversion.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Since I am will be new to using the bleach, do I need stabilizer and eventually clarifiers? If so what is the best to use?

4. Back To Top    #4

You will eventually need stabilizer, but not until your conversion is complete. See this article at Pool School for complete conversion instructions.

We don't normally recommend the use of clarifiers.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I have green, I used a granular shock ("Calcium Hypochlorite" which I would not recommend now), will it hurt to use Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) to finish the process??

6. Back To Top    #6

Using bleach is just fine, in fact that is what we recommend using.

7. Back To Top    #7

OK, based on the pool calculator I added the amount of bleach to inrease the PPM to 15, after 30 minutes the test strip showed "0". Not sure how you can keep it at 15ppm. Will it take considerably longer only adding the bleach at night or should I just keep adding during the day for this weekend?

8. Back To Top    #8

At the beginning the bleach is consumed very rapidly. You can test and add as often as hourly. Then towards the end of the conversion you can switch to just evenings/a.m.

I'd hit it hard this weekend if you have the time - you'll finish faster that way.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Do I need to maintain the Ph level during this process?

10. Back To Top    #10

You want to adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.4 near the start when the FC level is at or at least near zero. After that the PH is normally stable enough that you can ignore it.

11. Back To Top    #11

Only took 3 days and my pool is clear. Since then I have added bleach but can not keep the levels up. I added 4 lbs of stabilizer on Tuesday night, strips say 30-50 on stabilizer, still losing chlorine. Do I need to keep the chlorine at 3 all the time? How often do I need to shock?

12. Back To Top    #12

If you are having problems maintaining an FC level at night, you haven't finished the conversion yet. Everyone always loses chlorine during the day (though you should only be losing about 50% of your starting level each day).