GPM--flow requirement for optimal function-Hayward/ Goldline

dremin2flyhi

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 4, 2010
Darlington, SC
Is there an optimal flow (gpm) requirement for these cells?? I am using the Aquatrol RJ with no-flow switch. Just looking to do some tinkering in the winter. I have some Variable AC drives (Yaskawa)that I am going to be playing with as they were samples to test with at work. I know you have to some flow to push the gas thru the cell.

When I enquired about min flow rates, I believe that the response was that the flow switch would switch at arond 11 gpm. However the cell would perform below that flow level. How much was not stated.

Without a flow switch, the cell will generate chlorine at all flow rates. The danger is really at 0 GPM because the hydrogen and oxygen could build up in the cell and because there is a voltage across the cell, could spark and blow up. But as long as there is some flow rate to push the gas out of the cell, it should be ok.

As for efficiency, I haven't seen much in the way of data which would suggest lower speed is better although I have seen some posts that reported higher chlorine levels when they switch the pump to low speed but I haven't experienced that myself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.