Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: GPM--flow requirement for optimal function-Hayward/ Goldline

1. Back To Top    #1
    Darlington, SC

GPM--flow requirement for optimal function-Hayward/ Goldline

Is there an optimal flow (gpm) requirement for these cells?? I am using the Aquatrol RJ with no-flow switch. Just looking to do some tinkering in the winter. I have some Variable AC drives (Yaskawa)that I am going to be playing with as they were samples to test with at work. I know you have to some flow to push the gas thru the cell.
    24' x52" Sharkline Venture (May 2016) ABG (13,500)
    Hayward S180T15932S --Sand filter/ Flo-Matrix pump pack
    Aquatrol-RJ SWG-- Nitelighter NLMC
    Pool Rover -- Poolskim --
    Duraspa G2- Premium hot tub --Rotomold style

2. Back To Top    #2

Valrico, FL

Re: GPM--flow requirement for optimal function-Hayward/ Goldline

When I enquired about min flow rates, I believe that the response was that the flow switch would switch at arond 11 gpm. However the cell would perform below that flow level. How much was not stated.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: GPM--flow requirement for optimal function-Hayward/ Goldline

Without a flow switch, the cell will generate chlorine at all flow rates. The danger is really at 0 GPM because the hydrogen and oxygen could build up in the cell and because there is a voltage across the cell, could spark and blow up. But as long as there is some flow rate to push the gas out of the cell, it should be ok.

As for efficiency, I haven't seen much in the way of data which would suggest lower speed is better although I have seen some posts that reported higher chlorine levels when they switch the pump to low speed but I haven't experienced that myself.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner