Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Problems

I have a 24FT Circular AGP. It was purchased from Rec Warehouse with a cartridge filter and pump. The Pump’s label says Centuy Laswer Pool/Spa Motor---AO Smith.

I have since replaced the cartridge filter with a sand filter (Sand Dollar 40).

However, the pump has started acting up. It is making a loud “whining” noise now and sounds like it is really “struggling” to function.

Is this even something to check out and possibly see about fixing or do I just find a new pump.

If I get a new pump, what do I need? Size, make, model????

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Exeter, PA

Re: Pump Problems

Take it tto your local motor repair shop. If it's dead a hayward powerflo lx 1hp is fine
    X-Pert Pool Service
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

A whining noise usually indicates bad motor bearing(s). If you're handy you can replace them yourself but Kevin gave good advice about taking it to a motor repair shop. Change the seal too while you're at it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

If you need a new pump don't overlook the pentair dynamo 1hp 2spd. The low setting will save you money.