Pool is green, not sure what is wrong

dibbt

Jul 13, 2010
NC
I've had my little 5,000 for 2 years now, has turned green before if I went on vacation for a week, but I've always been able to get it clear in a day or so with some Chlorine and pH+.

Well now it's been green a week and not getting better.

I have a little test kit that tests the CL and pH, and they are showing "ideal".

CL = 1.25 and pH = 8.0

Should I put more "shock" in it to clear it up?

What have you been using to chlorinate? If it's the pucks in a floater, you probably have astronomical CYA levels, and it would be cheaper to drain the water out than to buy enough chlorine to kill the algae.

You need a decent test kit for sure, but even some dicey, if complete, results from a pool store will be helpful. Just don't let them sell you anything.

You'll probably find the answers to any questions you have right now, and some you haven't thought of yet, in Pool School. Link is in upper right of page.

dibbt said:
I've had my little 5,000 for 2 years now, has turned green before if I went on vacation for a week, but I've always been able to get it clear in a day or so with some Chlorine and pH+.

Well now it's been green a week and not getting better.

I have a little test kit that tests the CL and pH, and they are showing "ideal".

CL = 1.25 and pH = 8.0

Should I put more "shock" in it to clear it up?

CL of 1.25 and PH of 8.0 are far from ideal.
Have you read Pool School?

I'm reading through pool school now, but when I say "ideal", that's what my little test kit says.

It's got a shades of yellow for Chlorine and shades of red for the pH, and my water samples fall into the shades that say "ideal", with those numbers.

Check out the "Recommended Levels" article in Pool School. Those are the "ideal" ones :) LOL

You need to know your CYA level in order to determine how high to shock the pool - see "How to Shock your Pool".

Before you begin shocking, lower the PH down to 7.4. It would help to know your TA level as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.