Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair easytouch Install help-

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Pentair easytouch Install help-

I need some help with finalizing the install of my Easytouch4 system. Boy is it just me or does the manual suck?
    All is installed low voltage relay for intellibrite lights, intellipro pump via serial cable, temp sensors, actuators -- JUST need to know;

What size circuit breaker I should use to connect from the Power source to the Control Panel Transformer (Purple, yellow wires).?

I assume you need a dedicated breaker to connect the power to the TRANSFORMER. I am running a 220V pump and 20Amp GFCI breaker for this and a 15 Amp breaker for three Intellibrite 120v lights. The main circuit is 100Amp from the house.

So do I use a standard GE 20AMP 220V duel pole breaker to connect to the transformer?? The panel is located indoors.

Also any other ideas on getting this installed properly would be appreciated. My pool is up and running and just trying to get the basic automation working.

Only want to use system for 1- Pump 2-Spa 3- Lights and 4-deck Jets.

Thanks

Blake
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair easytouch Install help-

The transformer is rated for 1 amp at 240 volts, or 2 amps at 120 volts. So you could use a 20 amp breaker, or a much smaller breaker.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Thank you.

It's getting late here for me so stupid questions. My pump is 220 and is direct wired so I expect that I can use a 110V 15amp breaker for this transformer and be done.

Am I missing anything, I will be installing an intellicolor system but again that will be directly wired from the breaker as well and can be rewired for 110V.

Blake
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

You can use a 120 volt breaker as long as you wire the Easy Touch transformer correctly for 120 volts, there is a diagram for the transformer wiring right on the inside of the cover of the Easy Touch .
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yes- I got it. Thank you again.

For 120V
    Black - Line
    Violet - Load/Neutral
    Yellow - I take can be ground.

For 220V
    Black- Line
    Violet-ground
    Yellow-Line
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm not an electrician, but if yellow is line on a 220, I wouldn't make it ground on a 120. That seems sort of dangerous to me, but like I said I'm not an electrician. It would seem to my pea-brain to just not use the terminal at all.
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I think I was just over analyzing.

Simple connection that is not explanined in the manual or diagram very well.

You only use the Black and Purble wire for the 120V connection to the transformer. They yellow is terminated. The transformer is grounded to the box. I used a 15Amp CB just for the low voltage transformer. When I go to the elect supply house I will get a 10Amp CB. It only takes 2 amps to run.

Also will be installing a inline surge supressor for the transformer and low voltage circuits. Found two on ebay for $10 w/ shiping. Very high quality Rockwell brand-- just to make sure I don't fry the transformer or low voltage relays. Also surges will reduce the life of the relays. The unit should have one integrated-- and dont get me going on the criptic programming of circuits and names AND the manual that must of been written by someone that must have never seen a real pool...

Otherwise all is good.
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

I think you got it. And yes, the manual is horrible. Mine is connected to 240V via the pump dipole breaker (20 amp). IOW, when you shut the pump down via the breaker, the Easytouch box goes down too. Pool light and convenience outlet go to separate 15 amp breakers.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

I recently have been experimenting with some stuff and I found I have 58v at my relays when I probe them, rather than 24v.. I checked the low voltage transformer wiring and it seems like its wired for 120v (yellow wire is terminated). Should this give me cause for alarm?

10. Back To Top    #10

4door,

I suggest you quit probing, as it will cause you to go blind.

No offense, but it much more likely that you have a testing error rather than an actual EashTouch issue. As you noted, the voltage should be about 24 VDC. I just checked mine and looking across the coil wires, I get 25 VDC when the relay is energized and zero when off. Don't' know for sure, but I would I think in order for you to be seeing 58 volts your EasyTouch would have other obvious signs of failure. My Control Transformer is set up to run on 120 VAC, and just like yours, has the yellow lead capped off.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.