Leaving pool up for winter

Jun 30, 2010
I read that in order to winterize your pool you should drain the water several inches below the return. My return is only a few inches above the bottom of the pool.
Does this mean we can't leave it up all winter? Help !

16' KD AG 17" Hayward Sand Filter
1 hp pump

If you can install a plug on the water side of the return and then remove the hose from the outside of the return, it should be alright without draining down to the return. The disadvantage of that approach is that it is only a single layer of protection. If the plug fails the pool will drain. Still, plugs are reasonably reliable.

JasonLion said:
If you can install a plug on the water side of the return and then remove the hose from the outside of the return, it should be alright without draining down to the return. The disadvantage of that approach is that it is only a single layer of protection. If the plug fails the pool will drain. Still, plugs are reasonably reliable.

I just stumbled across this post and have wondered the same thing...

In the past, I've drained down below the return (~1/2 depth), AND have removed the hose from the back of the eyeball. I've wondered about pulling the eyeball and replacing it with a plug, but have never tried it. Is there anything else to worry about??? It seems like a 1 1/2" plug that doesn't leak should be all that's required as long as the back (outside) can be open and dry. Is that right??? Doing this could save me over 5k gallons / year.

All of this partly depends on just how cold it gets where you are. If the ice on the pool could get down as low as the return, extremely cold winters, you may need to drain below the return anyway. When the ice gets down deep enough, anything sticking out on the water side will get caught in the ice and could be torn out of the wall.

If you have warmer winters, and ice doesn't get down that far, then it is very easy.

We can't drain below the return, or the pool will collapse. It's soft sided with poles.
(not an intec though) We live in southern Iowa, so it's possilbe to have a pretty bad winter - -what do you think. We were told when we bought it that it could be left up all winter, no problem, but I wonder if the poolman even knew where the return was on this particular model.

Having to take it down and find a place to store it and then getting it put back up again next year is going to be a major problem and that is why we got this pool to start with, any suggestions ? Help !

ssmac
16' AG, 1 hp hayward pump and Dreamline Sandfilter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.